Recommend me a body filler

Try P38 easy sand matey, good stuff and looking at the hole you have it should be ok? You might have to tap the hole in a bit so that it gets a good grip and key the surface so it stick to the bodywork! if the hole goes through to the back of the arch fill from both sides and it'll act as a plug and when hard it wont drop out :rolleyes:

Shame your not a bit closer mate, as i have a huge tin of carbon filler that i use to make things plus a few tins of P38 lying around :blush:

Try P38 easy sand matey, good stuff and looking at the hole you have it should be ok? You might have to tap the hole in a bit so that it gets a good grip and key the surface so it stick to the bodywork! if the hole goes through to the back of the arch fill from both sides and it'll act as a plug and when hard it wont drop out :lol:

Shame your not a bit closer mate, as i have a huge tin of carbon filler that i use to make things plus a few tins of P38 lying around :o

This the stuff?

Cheers for the tips :) Providing all the rust has gone tomorrow I will do this but it's forecast as rain on friday, will this have dried by then or should I cover it up?

You need to move down South then mate! :rolleyes: What do you make with carbon filler? :blush:

Yes, thats the stuff mate :rolleyes:

You can make it dry fast or slow depending on your mix, more hardener and it'll set pretty quick, less = slower... But will only take a few mins to harden off so you have to work quick if your after a fast setting mix or it will start to go hard before you get it on the car?

I use the carbon filler to make things like gauge pods or to modify things, its like a fibreglass mix but uses carbon fibres instead of the glass fibres, good stuff but a bit pricey(i used to get it free for a huge tin) :blush:

Cheers, got some earlier :)

I was going to do it today but then I realised I would have to take the wheel and arch liner off again to fill from the other side so will do it Saturday.

How long should I leave it before rubbing it down and painting over it?

You must be pretty handy with the stuff if you can make gauge pods :D

Well I got some and did it yesterday...you didn't warn me it dusts like mad! I cleaned the car before I started as I didn't want to get the area wet where I was painting, shouldn't have bothered! :lol: Sands very easily, yes I know it's called easy sand but I didn't think it would be that easy! :(

I'm not sure if the arch is double skinned or it was just splitting from the rust but I cleaned it all out and filled it in. Boy that stuff sets rock hard quickly!! Sanded down and then painted over it with me rust treatment :lol:

osr_filler_01.jpg

osr_filler_02.jpg

:( sorry mate i forgot about the dust bit :lol: it is pretty good stuff though and sets pretty quick!

I have a really good tube of knifing putty here that works great, it lets you fill things like stone chips to build them up, so when you apply the paint there nice and flush with the original finish and looks so much better after a good polish and its great for finishing off jobs and leveling out filler and things like key scratches :o

Quite expensive for a tube though at around £38? :lol:

Sounds good mate, think I'll leave it at that price though! :lol:

Do you have to remove the paint from around the chip/scratch as well when using it so you can level it when sanding? I was going to fill mine with paint and then lacquer until it's just proud of the surface. Sand it back and then polish it.

I usually just key the surface a little around them first then fill with the putty, and flat off again with very fine sandpaper and paint over?

Worked great on a key scratch i had on my lex, it was about 8 inch long an down to the primer, but i filled it and then got my airbrush out to spray it, took a bit of time to get right but you couldn't see it after :lol: