For debate#3

Peugeot 206cc 5mph kerb impact on a left lock....

post-2-1154720164_thumb.jpg

Slight bend in the control arm would you agree...... this is the osf

post-2-1154720326_thumb.jpg

The resulting impact has lent the camber negative from the vertical (leaning toward the cars centre) The steering arm is behind the drive wheel and the castor has moved slightly forward.

But something is odd....

Try this experiment: Hold your left hand out as if to shake someones hand, now place a finger from your right hand on the left palm near the wrist.. now rotate your left hand toward the right in an attempt to lay it flat.... what direction did the left hands fingers go... left or right?

If explained correctly they have gone left.... This is a simulation of the camber leaning due to the bend and the toe moving due to the position of the steering arm.

Summery : The camber has moved negative and the toe has moved negative (toe out) so how come this car had 15mm Toe in :blink:

Has the impact moved the central hub upward so inturn pushing the top of the wheel inwards...im running out of guesses at this point :D

But im trying to understand (honest) :blink:

Due to the bend then the lean the only movement is the body becoming lower on that side.

Because the rack is behind the axle line and is undamged?

Yes i feel the same... If the castor were moved forward then obviously the pivotal pints between the inner steering knuckle and the track rod end would have been reduced inviting toe out, but since the steering is undamaged then the -ve camber has closed the distance inviting to in.... It's this sort of hands on experience that dismisses the maths in the other thread involving X, Y, Z logic is never conclusive do you agree?

I think i agree, never really understood X,Y and Z type stuff, well at least not when you add formulas. I just visualise mechanically, if that makes sense?

Best way i my opinion!..... i said it before and i say it again.. anyone can read a book on how to fly a plane but how many would get on it for the pilots first flight :D

Peugeot 206cc

But something is odd....

Try this experiment: Hold your left hand out as if to shake someones hand, now place a finger from your right hand on the left palm near the wrist.. now rotate your left hand toward the right in an attempt to lay it flat.... what direction did the left hands fingers go... left or right?

If explained correctly they have gone left.... This is a simulation of the camber leaning due to the bend and the toe moving due to the position of the steering arm.

mine went right :D

when you said "toward the right" i thought you meant toward the right !!

Peugeot 206cc

But something is odd....

mine went right :D

:o try again......

Peugeot 206cc

But something is odd....

mine went right :o

:D try again......

:D ok the top two went right , the bottom two went left

im kind of seeing the idea though :D

Peugeot 206cc

But something is odd....

mine went right :(

;) try again......

;) ok the top two went right , the bottom two went left

im kind of seeing the idea though ;)

Nahhh you need to pivot the left palm right against the right finger then watch how the left hand pushes left.....

All those who have managed this can now order fish 'n' chips in 'sign language' ;) ..... i love it :D