uneven tyre wear

Madras

Got a mk4 Golf last week and a few days later discovered on the front offside tyre it is much more worn on the inside than the outside. So I took it along to the local garage to get the tracking looked at and they said it's within VW's tolerances. A couple of days ago I looked at the spare tyre and it's in the exact same condition, so I'm wondering what the problem could be?

It does pull slightly to the left when driving, not severely but I do notice it a bit. Could it be a worn suspension part?

First thing to do is get a geometry check done and any adjustments that are needed. In most cases this would sort the problem. Are you near WIM?

Tracking is a waste of time and not an accurate form of alignment. We don't use the word much on this forum :D

Have a search in the geometry forum for more threads explaining the difference :P

Has the car been lowered?

No it hasn't. It's standard, 15 inch alloys. 74,000 miles.

To my knowledge the MK4 has fixed front cambers, if the tyres are wearing as you say then the only reason for both cambers to be wrong is if the coils have sagged.

Do the springs snap on the golf like they do on the mondeos?

No... well not that i've seen.

Can't toe cause inner wear as well, although it will be feathered and not smooth like camber wear?

Do the springs snap on the golf like they do on the mondeos?

No... well not that i've seen.

Can't toe cause inner wear as well, although it will be feathered and not smooth like camber wear?

The toe would aggravate the problem but it wouldn't be so confined like camber.