Wheelspinning

Being a somewhat mechanically sympathetic chap i've tended to keep my wheelspinning to a minimum over the years and never really spent anytime 'investigating' due to fear or clutch / drivetrain damage. I do however drive a Civic Type R so wheelspins are somewhat involuntary at times (and purposeful others.)

Now, i've never quite worked out how not to get that horrible *THUDTHUDTHUD* as what i can only assume is one of the wheels getting grip then letting go causing the entire corner to bounce. Sometimes wheel spins go well if they're really aggressive, other times soft, sometimes i can lightup the inside front without issue, othertimes the second it starts to spin it starts to crash.

Perhaps i should find a wet carpark and have some fun before i'm too old, but on the occassion i do spin up when launching in 1st, if i get that bouncing it doesn't half sound awful for the car as it's really violent.

Thoughts?

I've noticed 'coil rebound' in my MR2 as well.

I did actually go out after posting that and tried a full power start. It was a lovely wheelspin right up until the car speed was getting close to the wheel speed then the crashing judder came in to play and i had to abandon things by dropping the clutch.

I've wheelspan a fair few FWD cars and none have been as voilent as the civic!

commonly known as 'axle tramp or wheel hop', try different tyres, and or suspension improvements, also, apparently, worn engine mounts can exacerbate the problem . a little bit about the problem is posted here.

http://www.superhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45157

I can see the logic of worn engine mounts off-setting the drive train but the mounts would need to be totally up-ducked. Stiffer suspension, wider tyres and mucho power should invite a Hollywood style smoke effect :(

Unfortunately my example car is a sub 4000 mile 06 car so nothing is going to be too worn - at least my guess at the theory was correct.

It wears the stock 040's, which aren't stunning but aren't awful in the dry.

Unfortunately my example car is a sub 4000 mile 06 car so nothing is going to be too worn - at least my guess at the theory was correct.

It wears the stock 040's, which aren't stunning but aren't awful in the dry.

She was designed to stick, simple as that :)

why would you want to wheelspin ??

cant think of any beneficial reason other than trying to impress the local under 10`s

you would be far better off working on how not to wheelspin :)

cant think of any beneficial reason other than trying to impress the local under 10`s

Being a somewhat mechanically sympathetic chap i've tended to keep my wheelspinning to a minimum over the years and never really spent anytime 'investigating' due to fear or clutch / drivetrain damage. I do however drive a Civic Type R so wheelspins are somewhat involuntary at times (and purposeful others.)

When you're trying to launch a 200bhp FF car at an angle without a LSD wheelspins happen! I was after knowing what was going on with the wheel hop.

When you're trying to launch a 200bhp FF car at an angle without a LSD wheelspins happen! I was after knowing what was going on with the wheel hop.

fair enough

on my 172bhp fwd it just spins !, no hopping, no bouncing, may be down to having rock hard damping, and being very light, and its like that on toyos r888`s and toyo t1s`s :)

as for trying with 200bhp ...ill let you know next month :P

Axle tramp, wheel hop, call it what you will, is ultimately caused by the location of the axle/hub being insufficent to keep the wheel under control whilst undergoing the forces you are transmitting through it. When you completely break traction the forces put into the suspension are not that great, as it starts to try and grip, you put a sudden shock into the driveline. That shock (force) has to go somewhere, and the thuding noise you can here is some part of the suspension (poss engine trans mounts) reaching their limit of travel.

You will need either stiffer springs, dampers and or suspension bushes to eliminate it. Sadly your ride quality will go downhill quickly, hence the reason it is as the manufacturers set it. If your prepared to make the necessary compromises it, it can certainly be dialed out.

An LSD might be a better idea. Much less likely to induce wheelspin in the first place.

Could fit Racelogic traction control. This will stop wheel spinning better than an LSD

dont you need ABS for this ? :D

If you don't have ABS, I think they sell some sort of sensors or something that you use instead