Horror of the week 15/7/06

Tony

How can a tyre pick this up?

post-2-1152981140_thumb.jpg

post-2-1152981171_thumb.jpg

This piece of re-bar must have been 'flicked up' by the front tyre and had a perfect angle to penetrate the rear tyre... this owner was very lucky the re-bar did not also go through the rim :lol:

From what you know of the way punctures are caused do you think cars should have a "mud flap" infront of the rear tyre to stop debris hitting the rear tyre Tony.

Also don't alot of Saabs have an odd looking flap underneath the car before the rear tyre. I wondered what it was for, maybe its to try and help stop punctures? Have you had many Saabs come in for rear tyres being punctured, if not maybe that is why.

Maybe if no one else has you should patent the idea of the "rear anti puncture flap".

I had one a bit like this on the 4-Runner in Nigeria last month - a 10mm head bolt pierced straight through the tyre!

Was it a rear tyre?

Yes. Surprising because the tyres seriously chunky GrandTrek's. Fortunately a roadside "Vulcaniser" was on hand to fix it :lol:

I had one a bit like this on the 4-Runner in Nigeria last month - a 10mm head bolt pierced straight through the tyre!

Was it a rear tyre?

Yes. Surprising because the tyres seriously chunky GrandTrek's. Fortunately a roadside "Vulcaniser" was on hand to fix it :lol:

Also in reply to Mark H... 9/10 punctures are at the nsr (UK) most are in wet weather... research has shown that wet weather moves debris away from the kerb... the front tyres 'pinch off' effect on the road flicks many thousands of objects under the rear tyres and a very small percentage happen to be at the right angle to allow penetration.. Mark you are correct with a deflector in front of the rear tyres but this seemingly has a negative effect on brake cooling.

My 4-Runner is a LHD and we were travelling in the nearside lane on a dual carriageway (we drive on the right in Nigeria). The puncture occurred on the driver's side rear. No rain for several days.

Any coincidence?

My 4-Runner is a LHD and we were travelling in the nearside lane on a dual carriageway (we drive on the right in Nigeria). The puncture occurred on the driver's side rear. No rain for several days.

Any coincidence?

yep that's the 1 in 10 pure chance.