Definition of a car pulling

Tony

There are two distinct versions of this that gets confused between actual and the owners explanation. Maybe this will help clarify the actual complaint.

1: My car pulls to one side with an energy i have to physically resist and in doing so my steering position is off-line.

2: My car steers to one side when i centre the steering wheel, there is no energy involved

Both examples are Geometric but the reasons are far removed as is the method for correction.... Is it a pull or a steer!

• 2 years later...
There are two distinct versions of this that gets confused between actual and the owners explanation. Maybe this will help clarify the actual complaint.

1: My car pulls to one side with an energy i have to physically resist and in doing so my steering position is off-line.

2: My car steers to one side when i centre the steering wheel, there is no energy involved

Both examples are Geometric but the reasons are far removed as is the method for correction.... Is it a pull or a steer!

torque steer? got that a few times from unknowing customers

Torque steer has nothing to do with geometry though - as Tony says that's just too much power going through the front wheels that the steering can't cope.

Easy way to fix that one, lift off the accelerator :o

I beg to differ slightly on that one.

Torque steer is normally created when the driveshafts are of unequal length. That also means that you have differing angles of the shafts when turning or going over bumps and if there is significant power going through them it manifests itself by pulling to one side or the other.

That's why earlier powerful FWD cars like the 205 Gti had an intermediate driveshaft bearing on the right, so that the lengths of the shafts that were actually waving about were the same. That massively helped reduce torque steer.

A poor geometry setup that allows lots of camber and toe changes on bump will very much accentuate torque steer - which is why a more or less fixed solid rear axle doesn't suffer from it.