Anti Roll Bars

TarkMalbot

I am thinking of having some anti roll bars fitted when I finally get round to getting the Geometry set up! I have read a few things on different places about fitting them yourself and wanted to know if it was worth doing myself or just paying somone to do it as I dont have a ramp and may not be able to jack the car up enough? I think I would have to buy them from the place that was fitting them as I dont think they would fit in the car for me to take them along. And I guess I wouldn't be able to take the originals back home with me either?

Also what Anti Roll Bars would you recommend? I have seem IL Motorsports make Aluminium ones, Eibach make them too (they would match my springs) and also heard Cusco make a set for it too. Is there any others out there worth looking at? I hear the RX-8 items fit too but is it worth getting these or just getting aftermarket ones? Also heard about some of them being adjustable. Are these recommended or is it not something you change very often when they are right?

Thanks very much.

Mark.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the info guys.

I have got rid of the 1.8 Icon and now have a 2.0 Sport.

Going to get this one lowered with 30mm Eibachs and ARB kits as soon as I can.

The Eibachs are adjustable at the front but not the back. What would work best to match the rear bar and the eibach springs? Hard (short lever arm 172mm) or Soft (Long lever arm 192mm) Bar diameter on the front is 26mm X 4.2mm and back is 16mm.

Thanks,

Mark.

You can't adjust the rear though? What I am asking is if the rear is not adjustable then would you have the front soft or hard to match the back?

I could go for H&R Springs and ARB as I think they are adjustable front and rear??

Still also wondering about the 45mm drop on the Eibachs as it is just SOOOO high as standard!

You can't adjust the rear though? What I am asking is if the rear is not adjustable then would you have the front soft or hard to match the back?

I could go for H&R Springs and ARB as I think they are adjustable front and rear??

Still also wondering about the 45mm drop on the Eibachs as it is just SOOOO high as standard!

The front needs to be "soft" if the rear is fixed.... In truth i'm not comfortable with the H&R kit plus the adjustable ARB's... I have developed a -30mm coil kit with a higher coil rate and adjustable drop-links for a much better "predictable" balance.

Oh I see. It is the Eibachs that sell a 45mm Kit as far as I know.

Here are my findings:

H&R say their springs are 1.4" (35mm) Front and 1.3" (33mm) Rear but mx5parts advertise them as -40mm..

H&R ARB are adjustable front and rear and the diameters are 22mm front and 16mm rear.

Eibach do the Pro-Kit with 30-35mm front and 30mm rear although mx5parts advertise them as 30mm Front 25mm Rear (standard Mazda option)

Also the Sportline springs 45-50mm front and rear. I guess these are the ones you don't like.

Eibach ARBs are 26mm front and are adjustable and 16mm rear non adjustable.

What is the RRP for your springs and are they equal drop front and rear? Would you advise ARB to go with your springs to get the best out of the handling. I want it to handle as well as it can using the original bilstein shocks. I don't think I need to replace them just for road use.

• 1 month later...

I got myself some ARBs. I thought I would try the IL Motorsport items as I was interested in the use of aluminium and the weight saving. I know they are not adjustable but at 35% stiffer than standard I feel they flatten the car out well but do not make the ride any less comfortable. They are a good price too!

Thanks for all the advice though guys!

Sorry Tony but I went for the Eibach springs at the same time and fitted them together. They were a good deal and I couldn't wait to get it lowered! I still need to come and see you sometime about the geometry but it is going to be about March time. Hopefully the springs should have settled by then too. I will be getting the Cosworth fitted at the same time so might have that to show you too.

Sure have. And they were twisted. Got a local back street garage to change them for me as I didn't have the time or equipment and noticed the bushes as soon as I picked it up. The fitting price was good though and it only took me 10 mins to release the bushes so no big deal. Ride height is pretty much spot on now and I am much happier with the looks and handling. Really looking forward to seeing how the Geometry makes it feel as I have heard 100's of "It has transformed my car" stories.

• 4 weeks later...

I fitted the ARB on the rear myself as it looked straight forward enough but I got the front fitted at the same time as the springs. I was just wondering if there is anything special that needed to be donw when fitting the bar to the drop link as it always seems like the drop link rubbers are twisted?

They are straight in the photo below as I moved them into place to get the bolts in. Have I dont it right as I wouldn't want to wear out the drop links or something? Also any news on the adjustable drop links yet?

25112008265.jpg

Thanks for that.

I fitted the ARB with the wheels on the floor anyway as far as I remember as jacking the car up with the weight off the wheels just made it more difficult.

It was not as fun as fitting the chassis brace kit that came with no instructions and I had no idea where the bits went rolling about on the drive in the dark ! lol.

Feels great now though! I love it.

Maybe another topic is required..