Porsche Cayenne

Tony

one of my customers bought a new Cayenne and had four 22" wheels sent over from Germany, running 285-35/22 Continental tyres, total cost was £10.000 or so :lol: .. anyhoo as soon as the wheels were fitted the car had vibration... The wheel fitment was clinical so no spigot rings were necessary.... off-set and scrub radius fell within all parameters so why the vibration?.

I balanced the wheels on a studded plate, but still the vibration persists, detectable as low as 25mph, obviously this issue is not balance, and since the wheels are 'con-centric' then the problem must be due to the tyres?

Continental said they would inspect the tyres for distortion and pay for the transportation of the tyres off the rims.. but no local centre was able to remove the tyres since they were 22" and most machines only support 20" including STS... so i had a mobile racing company remove the tyres and then i sent them to Continental.

In advance i assumed the tyres were to blame so i sourced four tyres from all corners of the UK 285-35/22... Continental confirmed the tyres were at fault and agreed to replace them free of charge but unfortunately they had no stock in the UK..... but i did ;)

I had the new tyres fitted, i balanced them and the vibration problem was solved...... Here comes the nice part? The owner gave me a £200 tip :( ...... all that work out of sight did really pay..... £200 was extorsionate i agree, but nice :mellow: cat stayed in that night.

Moral is: Even the top manufacturers can be wrong, to preempt a conclusion is healthy and possibly rewarding :blink:

one of my customers bought a new Cayenne and had four 22" wheels sent over from Germany, running 285-35/22 Continental tyres, total cost was £10.000 or so :lol: .. anyhoo as soon as the wheels were fitted the car had vibration... The wheel fitment was clinical so no spigot rings were necessary.... off-set and scrub radius fell within all parameters so why the vibration?.

I balanced the wheels on a studded plate, but still the vibration persists, detectable as low as 25mph, obviously this issue is not balance, and since the wheels are 'con-centric' then the problem must be due to the tyres?

Continental said they would inspect the tyres for distortion and pay for the transportation of the tyres off the rims.. but no local centre was able to remove the tyres since they were 22" and most machines only support 20" including STS... so i had a mobile racing company remove the tyres and then i sent them to Continental.

In advance i assumed the tyres were to blame so i sourced four tyres from all corners of the UK 285-35/22... Continental confirmed the tyres were at fault and agreed to replace them free of charge but unfortunately they had no stock in the UK..... but i did ;)

I had the new tyres fitted, i balanced them and the vibration problem was solved...... Here comes the nice part? The owner gave me a £200 tip :( ...... all that work out of sight did really pay..... £200 was extorsionate i agree, but nice :mellow: cat stayed in that night.

Moral is: Even the top manufacturers can be wrong, to preempt a conclusion is healthy and possibly rewarding :blink:

Good story Tony. Good to see that exceptional service is still appreciated sometimes ;)

Good story Tony. Good to see that exceptional service is still appreciated sometimes :)

Never did i expect such a reward, the £200 was very welcomed ;) The real reward was that i manage to preempt the outcome.... This was totally satisfying and i had a little head wobble when no one was looking ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, lovely chap.

Little bit too much money if you ask me.

I agree £200 is :rolleyes: I asked if i could be his son? but he said he had two already and i could be a spare :o The moral is that the owner is not 'Silver Spoon' rich, and that i forecast the results..... and won :D (for once)