Ford KA 05 195-50/15 tyres 5000 miles

Toe out

The KA was lowered by 25mm. As a result the camber position rested at -45 rather than the proscribed -18' .

The wheel off-set and camber position resulted the tyre wear seen..... As Mat suggested the front toe would if measured also be incorrect, so the owner could blindly assume the wear was 100% due to the toe, the likes of Crap-fit would adjust the toe belaying the real reason 'Camber'.

wim says: Be very wise, lowering the cars suspension is never without consequence. The benefits are massive but you should seek guidance prior to the modification..... wim can provide this!

• 3 months later...

I have a similar problem on a ford puma - only more rapid wear ie 500 miles

Would adjusting the tracking futher toe in aleviate this or ?...................

With the above.....

Was the problem fixed and how or is it - beyond redemption??

Help! lol

ps on standard suspension

but same when i swap to and from the 17 inch wheels i also have

(ps hi tony - yes it is me with the problem puma from a while back!)

I have a similar problem on a ford puma - only more rapid wear ie 500 miles

Would adjusting the tracking futher toe in aleviate this or ?...................

With the above.....

Was the problem fixed and how or is it - beyond redemption??

Help! lol

ps on standard suspension

but same when i swap to and from the 17 inch wheels i also have

(ps hi tony - yes it is me with the problem puma from a while back!)

Hello.... If i recall we had an issue with vibration and your car... am i correct?

To the problem.... If as you say you are on standard suspension, then the reason for the wear will be wheel off-set or incorrect toe... Feed me more information to how and when during the cars evolution this wear happened.... In other words what happened between everything being ok and now :(

Ah well, i've 4 spare tyres sitting behind me and plenty of tread on the car at the moment.

Tony, if i wanted to attempt to pull the toe in on my car myself can you remember roughly how many turns i'd need to get it something reasonable? This initial bite of understeer is annoying me and if it's the same on track i'm going to want to do something about it at the lunch break on track.

Ah well, i've 4 spare tyres sitting behind me and plenty of tread on the car at the moment.

Tony, if i wanted to attempt to pull the toe in on my car myself can you remember roughly how many turns i'd need to get it something reasonable? This initial bite of understeer is annoying me and if it's the same on track i'm going to want to do something about it at the lunch break on track.

Here at home i don't have the data for the actual position you have now? can you display it and what you want it to be.

I think we went from 45' in to 45' out.

Worse comes to worse i'll jack the front of the car up and spin them in by a thread each. You'll love me for that :unsure:

No those positions are wrong..... leave things for now and let me see what they actually are... once i know i can guide you remotely tomorrow.... How much toe in are you looking for?

After thought are you racing tomorrow?

Not until the 1st.

This print out is confusing me.

The first print out i had we left the front to at...

l: 0.7, r: 0.7, total 1.3

however the previous front data on the latest print out reads

l: -1.7 r: 0.3, total -1.4

and the final present front data is

l: -0.5, r: -0.3, total -0.7.

(i liked total 1.3)

Not until the 1st.

This print out is confusing me.

The first print out i had we left the front to at...

l: 0.7, r: 0.7, total 1.3

however the previous front data on the latest print out reads

l: -1.7 r: 0.3, total -1.4

and the final present front data is

l: -0.5, r: -0.3, total -0.7.

(i liked total 1.3)

The previous position was the consequence of fitting the polly's... then you commanded :unsure: a final position of -.7 for testing purposes admittedly.

Stock is +1.2mm total toe (.6mm) per side... Is +1.2 going to be sufficient?

Commanded?! We agreed it would be interesting to find out how it performs on track!

I can't answer the question until i've tried it. Gut feeling from pushing on when road driving is i'm going to suffer understeer on turn in which i'm not a fan of. The 1st will give me the answer i desire. If it's too bad i'm just going to have to screw the track rod ends in a little each side and hope for the best!

Commanded?! We agreed it would be interesting to find out how it performs on track!

I can't answer the question until i've tried it. Gut feeling from pushing on when road driving is i'm going to suffer understeer on turn in which i'm not a fan of. The 1st will give me the answer i desire. If it's too bad i'm just going to have to screw the track rod ends in a little each side and hope for the best!

Command did not express exactly what i meant 'sorry'.. but i did have to fight you down with the amount of -toe, agreed?

From memory your tie rod adjusts 3mm per revolution (fine thread 12mm diameter) If you tippex along the steering arm and track rod end then a visual reference for adjustment can be gauged.... personally i would set your car at 3... maybe 4mm +toe in. Your aggression and style suggests much more from the car... Increments of 10th's of millimetres will not satisfy your ambitions.... I feel :unsure:

Ok, if things are horrible on the 1st i'll wind each side in by 3/4 turn and see what happens.

Chances are i won't bother but it's good to have a backup.

Mark the rods then you cannot fail.... if thing go tit's up then you can return the positions.... +4mm total i really feel is you to a tee :unsure: