DRIFT

Big in the World and here in the UK... Does anyone want to explore this area?

explore it .....?? how exactly

Geometrically and mechanical... Experienced drivers should be able to command specific handling desires... If you talk in Drift then you must be aware of the environment..... and develop it.... So are there any takers on this topic?

i just put my foot down and turn in, the steer the other way to keep the car sideways.. i have to do it in the wet though through lack of power. sometimes it changes up a gear (automatic) and then the slide comes to a sudden stop when the tyres grip!!

i just put my foot down and turn in, the steer the other way to keep the car sideways.. i have to do it in the wet though through lack of power. sometimes it changes up a gear (automatic) and then the slide comes to a sudden stop when the tyres grip!!

I know you are wise around the Geometry machine so how would you set a RWD car specifically for Drift

thats power over, drift is continues sideways slide...a fishtail doesnt constitute a drift

a good vid here showing Drift, and the driver imputs....(jane myay like one of the cars me thinks)

Drift vid

thats power over, drift is continues sideways slide...a fishtail doesnt constitute a drift

a good vid here showing Drift, and the driver imputs....(jane may like one of the cars me thinks)

Drift vid

Nice video..... would have been even better if it was the 'Driffty'... Any pictures of your Driffty would be appreciated Mat!

I am looking forward to setting the Driffty but i am still baffled with the rear tyre size. As you said the power belays traction despite the 255mm tyre width but could this cosmetic look retract the overall Drift?

as i said the car still requires a level of grip even during drift angles, no grip, no control.

the tyre aspect ratio, should be a trade and compliment the level of power, low powered cars will not have as much grip, high powered cars need more grip

as i said the car still requires a level of grip even during drift angles, no grip, no control.

the tyre aspect ratio, should be a trade and compliment the level of power, low powered cars will not have as much grip, high powered cars need more grip

Interesting, the COG and polar yaw seem dependant of the high powered car, and obviously the suspension/coil rate, so i wonder how in development can you manufacture the overall package.

The maths needed to calculate the suspension, frame rigidity, angular inertia, roll centre, seems endless so i do wonder Mat how you have concluded this? i assume it's by driven example :unsure:

Mat how you have concluded this? i assume it's by driven example :unsure:

by feel

Indeed the best example.... but what if!..... i calculated the moment of inertia Geometrically, would this be beneficial or dismissed by the driver?... To calculate this i would need the COG ratio to determine the polar centre.... Blind i assume the driffty is 60/40?... possibly a 70/30?

In Rides today the topic was the American D1....... fascinating viewing.... one area that did become apparent was the rear tyre size, indeed they are 225 to 255mm wide with a race life expectancy of 15min :D I personally thought 'Kissing' the wall showed exceptional skill.......