Tyre pressure Sensors

Tony

More and more cars today don't carry a spare tyre.... BMW, MCC and so on.... For some the reason is space, for others the reason is the development of the run-flat tyre belaying the need for a spare..... and it's cost effective :) .... Whatever the model of car the driver needs clear indications that the tyre is deflating, some use an electronic internal bladder, others use the ABS ring rate by reading an increased RPM on the deflated tyre.

Clear benefits are safety since you have a visual warning of a problem. The down side is the tyres are very expensive and if punctured are scrap.

So back to the conventional tyre....... Innocently you drive and get a puncture, the handling is affected and you pull over and fit the spare... most tyres by comparison to the RFT are cheap and can be repaired... But there is a problem.

Modern cars perform so well that a punctured tyre is almost undetectable... You have no visual warning on the dash and can assume all is well until....

post-2-1149795118_thumb.jpg

This Nissan driver was on the Motorway with no indication from the car anything was wrong, until he looked in the mirror and saw smoke belching from the rear....... In panic he hit the brakes and spun the car into a ditch.

post-2-1149795305_thumb.jpg

As you can see the resulting spin almost turned the tyre inside out....

So maybe the RFT is better but cost is an issue... Or is the old school spare tyre an an aware driver better.

personaly i realy dont see the point of run on flat tyres. why not do what renault done with the laguna II and have presure sensors anyway so if a tyre looses more than 3 psi you get a visual warning and a beep, you then stop before a blow-out happens, put the spare on and go and get it fixxed.

job done

personaly i realy dont see the point of run on flat tyres. why not do what renault done with the laguna II and have presure sensors anyway so if a tyre looses more than 3 psi you get a visual warning and a beep, you then stop before a blow-out happens, put the spare on and go and get it fixxed.

job done

Seemingly the selling point with RFT is the 'blow out' fear factor?.... To tell the customer that 'even if' a tyre blows out the car will be in perfect control 'Sells', in addition there is the 'Lady sale'.... She is the one who has a puncture on a dark lane on her own..... With the RFT there is not need to stop... Both examples seem convincing to the uneducated...

Another point, the sale of 'Stop Sticks' to the police would drop methinks :unsure:

I think sensors are a great idea - if they make you aware & possibly stop an accident then thats good in my book :D

On the point of 'run flats' being appealing to 'ladies' if you had sensors then you could get a man to sort it for you before it goes ;) <_<

Although going slightly 'off topic' I do think that it should be compulsory that everyone should have to carry out a tyre change as part of the road/car safety side of their driving test :D

Although going slightly 'off topic' I do think that it should be compulsory that everyone should have to carry out a tyre change as part of the road/car safety side of their driving test :D

but you cant take your son to your test, what would you do ? <_<

bit unfair on disabled and weak drivers, and has no reflection on there driving ability ;)

but you cant take your son to your test, what would you do ? <_<

bit unfair on disabled and weak drivers, and has no reflection on there driving ability ;)

Never though of that.....Able bodied blindness..... wim wants to expand any avenue you can think of to assist this area....Good work bazza!