Tyre weights

Janey

Just wondering what road tyres are the lightest ?

Seems a bit daft that my new wheels weigh in at 5.5kgs (12.1 lbs) each & tyres average 8.18kgs (18lbs)

thats like a bag & half of sugar extra for each one :)

Ask far as i can tell tyre weights aren't published. I've only ever seen references to weights with either the expensive trackday wheels or full race tyers, and even then it's meaningless quotes like "light weight compound".

Ask far as i can tell tyre weights aren't published. I've only ever seen references to weights with either the expensive trackday wheels or full race tyers, and even then it's meaningless quotes like "light weight compound".

I agree.... Road tyres for track days can only be 'Trimmed', this removes a desired amount of tread from the tyre by machine.

I agree.... Road tyres for track days can only be 'Trimmed', this removes a desired amount of tread from the tyre by machine.

With the state of the UKs track day airfields at the moment that process can be done quite easily out on track while having fun :)

mmmmmm looky here :)

mmmmmm looky here ;)

Sorry..... Tyre weight by size is irrelevant unless the one size is compared with another make of tyre, then you can decide what make of tyre in that particular size suits by it's manufactured weight....... then trim it :)

would a smaller profile mean a lesser weight ??

Yes but the idea is to lessen the weight with a comparative correct size tyre..... The Principle is to have the lightest within a single size....... 185-60-14 Dunlop 4kg or 185-60-14 Pirelli 3.5kg, that is a comparative weight to manufacturer scale.