tyre diameter / radius

MondeoGhiaX

evening,

just looking on the toyo website for a suitable tyre to match a larger wheel size.

for each tyre, they quote an overall diameter, and also a static radius. now if i learnt anything at school, it was that the diameter of a circle is twice the radius, but this doesnt seem to follow in this case. some tyres have a similar static radius, but the overall diameter is completely different. whats all that about then?

more importantly, which measurement should i be looking at to keep the overall wheel+tyre size the same?

thanks.

http://www.toyo.co.uk/productdetail.php?id...mp;product_id=5

for example, a 145/80R12 has the same static radius as a 155/65R13, but there is 5mm difference in the overall diameter. not much i suppose, but why any? does it mean when the tyre is on the car and the weight is squashing it?

Metric/ Imperial/ Metric will leave errors.... I think to keep things totally uniform the tyre dimensions would need to be 153/62R13 or thereabouts... By convention 5% differential is within tolerance.

does it mean when the tyre is on the car and the weight is squashing it?

In a word, yes.

Different terms are sometimes used, but "static radius"; "static load radius"; "normal loaded radius"; etc all mean the same thing i.e. the distance from the centre of the axle to the road plane with the axle normally loaded. This dimension is always going to be significantly less than half of the overall diameter of a free standing wheel and tyre.

Tyre dimensions change, depending upon their situation. A tyre standing free of a wheel does not measure the same as a tyre applied to a wheel and inflated. The dimensions change again when the wheel is attached to a vehicle and used to support it. The dimensions change further when the vehicle is in motion and the temperature of the wheel, tyre and inflating fluid are raised and centrifugal and other forces apply.

You cannot be absolutely precise about the dimensions, they will depend upon the nature of the variables that apply - even a free standing tyre will change its diameter a little when the ambient temperature changes. Manufacturers therefore quote dimensions under standardised conditions so that practical comparisons can be made.

If you are doing torque calculations associated with the overall gearing ratio for a vehicle, the normal loaded radius may be more useful than the overall diameter of the free-standing wheel and tyre.

ah, i understand that now.

most tyre size calculator tools on the web appear to just use the overall diameter of the tyre when trying to compare wheel/tyre size combinations.

i am thinking of going from a 4x12 inch wheel to a 4.5x13 inch wheel. my current tyres are 145/80R12. looking at that toyo page, the best match seems to be 155/70R13, though the diameter is slightly more. is this a good choice do you think?

thanks.

ah, i understand that now.

most tyre size calculator tools on the web appear to just use the overall diameter of the tyre when trying to compare wheel/tyre size combinations.

i am thinking of going from a 4x12 inch wheel to a 4.5x13 inch wheel. my current tyres are 145/80R12. looking at that toyo page, the best match seems to be 155/70R13, though the diameter is slightly more. is this a good choice do you think?

thanks.

I would opt for a 155/65R13 personally.