Disappearing coils

Tony

Car: Calibra 4X4 Turbo

Position: Rear

Story: The car is lowered with progressively wound springs, whats odd is the top and bottom coils keep inverting into the main coil body....

post-2-1149018158_thumb.jpg

The owner has been assured the coils are correct for the car and no other Calibra has experienced this before..

Then i happened again

post-2-1149018293_thumb.jpg

So after another replacement the owner wanted to conclude all his hard efforts and have the Geometry sorted... Rear camber/ toe adjusters fitted and more new coils in he came.... 50 miles...... and guess what.... :D

post-2-1149018563_thumb.jpg

Yep it done it again, in 50miles.... Seeking a reason i continued with the Geometry and nothing suspicious came to light.... like 3 degrees of camber.

I wonder this, could the fact that the car is 4X4 and has the additional power from the turbo be causing this unusual effect......Any ideas

• 5 weeks later...

Another Calibra 4X4 turbo, but this time a Koni Coil and Damper kit... 200 miles and guess what?

post-2-1152651307_thumb.jpg

and

post-2-1152651348_thumb.jpg

Images a bit pants sorry.... but once again the helix has collapsed into the main body....The intended suspension drop was only 30mm, so it's not like it's an aggressive modification, and these coils are not the same manufacturer as the last images displayed.... why do you think they are collapsing... note: i don't know why!

Interesting.

We had this on a Porsche 944 S2 a few weeks ago. A customer supplied his own lowering springs he bought from a guy i know well.

We fitted them, did all the usual, then looked up to find the top 5 coils virtually touching each other. Hadn't even left the workshop!!

Anyway, much fooling around later, lots of phone calls etc, supplier sourced some more lowering springs from a different manufacturer. Duly fitted only to find exactly the same problem.

It just so happened, that afternoon, a guy from a damper rebuild place who has been doing suspension for many years called round. Took one look, grunted, and said it was no surprise! Seems that a lot of the manufacturers just copy each others product without ever seeing the car. Neither set was from any of the real serious players in the spring market. Sadly they don't do them for this car.

We too scratched our heads for some time trying to work out if we had missed something.

My vote on the calibra is that the springs are simply not man enough, or have used incorrect materials, probably the latter as it took time to occur.

Interesting.

We had this on a Porsche 944 S2 a few weeks ago. A customer supplied his own lowering springs he bought from a guy i know well.

We fitted them, did all the usual, then looked up to find the top 5 coils virtually touching each other. Hadn't even left the workshop!!

Anyway, much fooling around later, lots of phone calls etc, supplier sourced some more lowering springs from a different manufacturer. Duly fitted only to find exactly the same problem.

It just so happened, that afternoon, a guy from a damper rebuild place who has been doing suspension for many years called round. Took one look, grunted, and said it was no surprise! Seems that a lot of the manufacturers just copy each others product without ever seeing the car. Neither set was from any of the real serious players in the spring market. Sadly they don't do them for this car.

We too scratched our heads for some time trying to work out if we had missed something.

My vote on the calibra is that the springs are simply not man enough, or have used incorrect materials, probably the latter as it took time to occur.

I have no option other than to agree with you..... despite the fact the coils are from different manufacturers and the fact i have insufficient volume of 4X4 Calibras to form research the only available answer is incorrect coil rates allowing the collapse.

most springs are made by only a few spring manufacturers, there are good spring manufacturers....Eibach

and there are bad spring manufacturers...........

Within both these examples the manufacturers are well known... i wonder this mat.. do you feel the coils are indeed designed for the Calibra but not for the implications of the 4X4..?

most springs are made by only a few spring manufacturers, there are good spring manufacturers....Eibach

Within both these examples the manufacturers are well known... i wonder this mat.. do you feel the coils are indeed designed for the Calibra but not for the implications of the 4X4..?

exactly right tony, i dont think there designed for the 4x4, or more so possibly not for the Turbo version

exactly right tony, i dont think there designed for the 4x4, or more so possibly not for the Turbo version

manufacturers, or brands........ many brands use the same manufacturer

manufacturers, or brands........ many brands use the same manufacturer

I think our experience within suspension and chassis dynamics can conclude these springs are not intended for the 4X4 Turbo Calibra, despite what it says on the box B)

• 3 weeks later...

When the springs are removed do they return to their correct shape?

If they do then as far as the spring is concerned the collapse is the correct behaviour. Maybe not what the customer wants but the spring doesn't care about that

When the springs are removed do they return to their correct shape?

If they do then as far as the spring is concerned the collapse is the correct behaviour. Maybe not what the customer wants but the spring doesn't care about that

Unfortunately i was not involved in the fitting or removal and neither customer has returned for the Geo follow up so i am assuming the problem still exists with the manufacturer.