Fujita Cold Air Intake

I got my Fujita intake a few days ago. Less than a weeks delivery from US. Got it for a total of £160 including UPS shipping and £30 import tax. I was happy enough with that seeming as the AEM (Mazdaspeed) intake is £255 from Mx5parts.co.uk or £225 from mx5mad.com.

ca2507.jpg

Very impressed with the quality of the tubing, hoses, machined fittings etc etc. For more information visit: http://www.f5air.com/features.html And the free Nos enegry drink helped me along too! lol

After reading through the installation notes I found instruction one rather amusing.

1. Take off bumper.

Good job I was installing the fog lights at the same time and these has instructions of how to remove the bumper. Was much easier than I first thought. If anyone is thinking of doing it then drop me a PM and I will be more than happy to guide you through it. Hardest part is getting your had and tool inside the wheel arche to get two nuts off. You could take the wheel off and the arche liner but I couldn't be bothered with that. I would have had the wheels off anyway to fit my new ones but thats a different story!

After removing the bumper it looked like this:

IMG_1415.jpg

IMG_1416.jpg

Then I removed the original air intake hose, air box and intake pipe. The MAF and Crank case breather has to be disconnected too and left n the engine bay for now.

IMG_1418.jpg

IMG_1417.jpg

After the original parts are removed a plastic sill has to be removed from under where the original intake pipe lies. To do this you need to remove the headlights from both sides. I didn't remove them completely. I held it in my hand whilst still connected to the electrics and just removed the pop off fastener that was under the headlight. The headlights can then be loosely secured back on. After the sill is removed you need to cut away the passenger side section to allow access for the new intake to go behind the grill. The sill was then replaced, fastereners put back on and the headlights secured.

IMG_1422.jpg

The new intake pipes were loosly fitted, Breather and MAF connected back up. After it was all lined up I tightened all the clamps.

IMG_1421.jpg

IMG_1419.jpg

Lastly was the fit the Filter on the end. This is an impressie looking thing! ts about the size of my head! lol

IMG_1420.jpg

Clamps onto the intake pipe and sits just behind the grille and lower splitter hopefully sucking in all the cold are as i'm zoomig along (as well as conducting heat from the engine bay through the metal pipes but lets not go into that!!)

IMG_1423.jpg

Fitted the bumper back on (after installing the fog lights) and job was done.

IMG_1424.jpg

Took about 2 hours in total to fit. Went for a spin yesterday evening and the extra midrange pull is good but the top end power increase of 6bhp doesn't really come into play as its between 6.5K and 7K rpm which to be honest I never really use. I did take it all the way to over 7 last night to see what happened and the car was still pullig strong and seemed to rev much easier.

ca2507.gif

The noise increase was minimal and couldn't be noticed ove rhte exaust tone. When I stuck my head behind at the front of the grille I could hear it a little though but this was only on tick over. Made me smile anyway. LOL.

Only problem I can think of is water getting in the intake if I go through deep puddles or something. Also it look s alittle difficult to get the filter off when it needs cleaning or replacing. I will be able to get at it by removing the grille but I haven't looked into how to do this. I think I will be able to get access by removing the lower fixings of the bumper and getting my hand in there. I think when it starts looking a bit contaminated with flys and leaves and stuff I will turn it round 180 degrees first. And it shouldn't be too bad as it doesn't require oil and only needs washing every 50,000 miles. Or maybe thats km but either way I dont need to worry about it for a while.

And i'm not going to be removing it for the service either! If I need a warrenty claim on the engine then the original might go back on!

I have ssen the Blitz Turbo kit and the Cosworth Supercharger but I will have to wait for a while before going down that road. As for removal of the filter; this can be done by removing the screws in the lower panel under the bumper. Not a big job. I gave it a blast this morning with the power washer too before I remembered it was behind the grille and then thought ah well and gave it a bit of a clean. As it doesn't need oil and the cleaning instructions say use soapy water I thought it would be ok just to get the flies and leaves off. I have thought about the hydrolocking situation and know I will have to stay out of deep puddles to aviod sucking in water. I have been out in the rain and pray from other vehicles and it has run fine. I have seen water covers that are available but these must affect the air flow? And I have thought about a guard to stop splashes but this would make the forced air effect not work. I think I will just avoid deep puddles for now and use it as my summer intake. lol.