Swapping / Rotating Tyres

MondeoGhiaX

hi,

mk2 mondeo.

had a quick look through the forum, but couldnt see anything about this. is it still considered a good idea to swap or rotate wheels to even tyre wear? my new fronts are wearing nice and evenly, and at the same rate each wheel, but the left rear is wearing a bit quicker than the right. i was thinking of swapping the rears over to try and get maximum life from the tyres.

apparently my rear anti-roll bar bushes are worn and need replacing (roll bar itself is corroded too). could this account for the uneven tyre wear, or cause any other tyre wear problems?

thanks.

Worn ARB mounts cannot generate wear (domestically) and in all my days in the industry i have never seen an ARB brake due to corrosion.

Tyre rotation is argumentative to say the least.... So in true wim fashion here is the argument!

1> Most tyre replacements occur on the front (regardless of drive)

2> Over 80% of punctures occur at the rear, so the deeper depth then this reduces the chance of penetration

3> Moving the rear tyres to the front belays a sudden transition for over-steer

4> tyre rotation offers an even level of wear between the four wheels

My opinion

1> Agreed most times it's the front tyres that are renewed

2> Agreed, due to the lifting properties of the front tyres the rears are most likely to be punctured

3> Disagree, the transition between 1.6mm and 7mm from legal limit and new is to small domestically to be noticed

4> Disagree. Modern tyres adjust their contact profile according to weight distribution... A change in this can distort the tyre.

Having been in the industry for many years i can tell you this..... The real reason to suggest the rears are moved to the front is so they can sell you "wheel balance"

your observation about the ARB is good news. the corrosion advisory has come up at the last two services and mots. i think i will wire brush it and see whats left - then hopefully just go for new bushes.

what about just swapping the rear tyres around then. is it common for the left tyres to wear quicker, maybe because we only go round roundabouts one way? :)

your observation about the ARB is good news. the corrosion advisory has come up at the last two services and mots. i think i will wire brush it and see whats left - then hopefully just go for new bushes.

what about just swapping the rear tyres around then. is it common for the left tyres to wear quicker, maybe because we only go round roundabouts one way? :)

The NSF outer will wear more on all UK cars... The NSR no.. If this is visibly wearing then it's probable you have a worn component or the Toe is incorrect.

1> Most tyre replacements occur on the front (regardless of drive)

2> Over 80% of punctures occur at the rear, so the deeper depth then this reduces the chance of penetration

3> Moving the rear tyres to the front belays a sudden transition for over-steer

4> tyre rotation offers an even level of wear between the four wheels

My opinion

1> Agreed most times it's the front tyres that are renewed

2> Agreed, due to the lifting properties of the front tyres the rears are most likely to be punctured

3> Disagree, the transition between 1.6mm and 7mm from legal limit and new is to small domestically to be noticed

4> Disagree. Modern tyres adjust their contact profile according to weight distribution... A change in this can distort the tyre.

Having been in the industry for many years i can tell you this..... The real reason to suggest the rears are moved to the front is so they can sell you "wheel balance"

question about 3 and 4...so tony do i take it you DON'T recommend Tyre rotation and also the fact that switching lower thread tyres to the rear WON'T exacerbate any oversteer condition?

I always felt that after tyre rotation the car never drove as well as before...maybe i have th eanswer now....