MR2 Turbo - the right wheel/tyre size

Right.....

1996 MR2 rev4 Tubby

I was running on a set of 17" x 7" Lenso 5RK rims with 215/35/17 at the front and 235/35/17 rear, Toyo Proxes T-1S all round. After having a set of TRD coilovers fitted and slamming the ride real low, the following symptoms became very apparant:

Coilover dampening set to 100% hardness front, 60% rear..

- Big oversteer

- Bouncing and generally uncomfortable ride

- Skittish, back end wanting to slide out on boost

- BUT THEY LOOK GOOD! :rolleyes:

Changed to a set of split size 16" Racing Sparco rims:

Front: 16" x 7" 205/45/16 Toyo Proxes T-1R

Rear: 16" x 8" 245/45/16 Toyo Proxes T-1R

Also had some custom built front ARB droplinks (courtesy Peter G @ sBits).

Not had the geo setup done yet (as per Tony's custom design) but she feels like a different car - oversteer reduced, I've turned the dampening up to 100% and she still feels comfortable, reduced bounce and an altogether better ride.

I have a set of Toyota camber adjust bolts to fit this week at the same time as I get the geo sorted...all intime for the mission to the Ring :unsure:

Yes Barrie,

Whereas big wheels and slim walled tyres look good, the wheel & tyre combination forms part of the car's suspension-

The bigger the wheel, the less the tyre wall and therfore the car becomes more unstable.

Yes Barrie,

Whereas big wheels and slim walled tyres look good, the wheel & tyre combination forms part of the car's suspension-

The bigger the wheel, the less the tyre wall and therfore the car becomes more unstable.

Mike when i read your posts delivering new additions to your cars suspension/ wheels/ tyres/ turbo and 'flux capasitor'... my cat goes and hides..... the maths go through the roof.... and this is why 'Scrub Radius'... all the front end geometry has to land within a target area called the scrub radius the positions deliver the handling expected but this needs to be born...... assuming all is well then the positions can become almost 'matter of fact' and easily transported to other cars assuming the set-up is similar.. this i have done many times in LOC.... same car....same problem.... different person/environment.. simple maths.