Puncture Repair Area?

Hi,

Courtesy of my local HS2 road works (possibly)…I’ve picked up a puncture on my nearly new Pilot Sport 5 tyre (225).

Was near my local Costco who have a repairable area template but it is a just a couple mm outside of the guide marking for an 225 tyre and they cannot repair using a patch. I measure the centre of the screw to be around 65mm from the centre line of the tyre. Not taken the screw out to establish diameter or whether any further damage but based on the attached picture, do I need to think about writing it off and biting the bullet on another £110, etc.

Obviously safety comes first, so will have to pay for a new tyre but does anyone have any knowledge on what can safely be repaired and whether this is a definite ‘no’. Certainly don’t want to have a local tyre shop take a chance as its mainly motorway miles I do on these tyres.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Many thanks,

Damian 

IMG_0184.jpeg

I'm surprised actually. Last time I asked at Costco they didn't do repairs / punctures, so maybe they changed their policy.

In any event, to be repairable it needs to be in the central 70% of the width of the tyre. Where the tyre starts and the sidwall ends is open for debate, but that (as you say) looks borderline. If it were me I'd take it to my friendly tyre fitter, andif he says yes then I'd fit it on the rear and be aware of pressures etc.

Hi,

Yes - they’ve done repairs for the last few years.

I think the 70% comes from the British Standard repair rules? Assume on. 225 tyre, rounding down this gives 150mm repair area or 75mm either side of the centre line. Seems rather generous but a number of conditions around it (e.g. 6mm max diameter gold). Did a quick search and found the British Tyre Manufacturer’s association technical advisory note which seems to on firm this also.

So perhaps it is possible if like you say someone would be prepared to consider it .

Thanks,

Damian

I feel your pain, I picked up a nail in a new tyre after driving home from having it fitted! Went straight in the sidewall so was a write off!

As you say that is right on the border of where you can repair. Personally I would ask yourself if you would still be comfortable driving on that tyre if you did manage to get it repaired. But as above, if you do, fit it to the rear of the car. 

4 hours ago, Viking said:

I'm surprised actually. Last time I asked at Costco they didn't do repairs / punctures, so maybe they changed their policy.

They do now. I had new tyres fitted the other week and they had signs up saying repairs were £10 each IIRC.

• Sad 1

Looks like an easy, safe repair if you take it to the right place.

I've used the DIY "Emergency" method a few times in areas much closer to the edge than that and they've never let me down even after some years in place, so a proper plug patch should be no problem.s-l1600.jpg