MX-5 NC fast road wheel alignment

Rob F

I've just fitted 17x8 wheels to my 2006 MX-5 and never had the alignment done when the 30mm Eibach springs were done either. It's used almost daily so looking for decent wheel alignment settings that won't chew tyres but will still provide an engaging ride. 

Would love to get to WIM to get it sorted but being in West Yorkshire makes it difficult. TIA. 

Ok... Measurement is in degrees, 60.minutes. to one degree. The toe angle in minutes locates the wheels width whereas in mm you need to tell the machine the wheel dimensions.

Fast-road

Rear

Camber-1 degree 50'

Toe: +6' per side.

Front

Camber: -50:

Toe: -8' per side

Castor: +6 degrees.... anything above 5 degrees is fine.

Also if you want a more spirted drive then have the cambers front/ rear set -1 degree 30'.

Fast road is set to understeer, if you get it wrong you hit whatever head on. The other camber settings will make drive more lively.

I had two complaints regarding the fast road setup saying I've made the car too safe. I named that setup as EVO.

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Also if you want a more spirted drive then have the cambers front/ rear set -1 degree 30'.

Fast road is set to understeer, if you get it wrong you hit whatever head on. The other camber settings will make drive more lively.

I had two complaints regarding the fast road setup saying I've made the car too safe. I named that setup as EVO.

Cheers Tony! I presume these settings have a bigger impact on tyre wear?

I'll take these along to Atac Align in Huddersfield next week when it's booked in. They reckon to do loads of alignments on 5s. 

Toe is a compliance angle calculated by the size of the bushings the desire for a dynamic position to be 0.

I want the toe to be positive. The Reason being a dynamic positive will warm the tyres much faster.

Some owners want a static negative toe....... Agreed that will allow a faster turn in but at speed it makes the drive very unstable.

Toe can be measured in millimetres so in that case my positions  .5 mm.

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Toe is a compliance angle calculated by the size of the bushings the desire for a dynamic position to be 0.

I want the toe to be positive. The Reason being a dynamic positive will warm the tyres much faster.

Some owners want a static negative toe....... Agreed that will allow a faster turn in but at speed it makes the drive very unstable.

Toe can be measured in millimetres so in that case my positions  .5 mm.

Still +6' and -8' if I for 1"30' camber front and rear? 

(I'll stop pestering you then, promise...)

You're not pestering me..

Yes for both settings the toe remains the same.

Put it this way. The static toe position is dependant on how much the bushings compress. A car like a Omega has very big bushings so once compressed with the cars forward motion and the tyres rolling resistance it needs a big toe in position.

The amount of dynamic toe want will give a dynamic  ,5mm.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Can I hijack this thread a bit 

I also have an MX5 NC and came across this thread looking for alignment settings, and am also up in Yorkshire

mine has been lowered and sits on coil overs - ride height is 350 mm wheel center to wheel arch, and sits on 8J rims, 45 mm offset and 225 tyres,

My local garage has a four wheel alignment machine, using the standard alignment the lowest ride height setting for the NC is 370 mm, will this make a difference to the alignment settings ?

the plan is to try a few trackdays and the like with the car, what would you recommend the more spirited cambers front/ rear set -1 degree 30'.

Many thanks 

Neill

Hi Tony,

thanks for the reply

current castor  numbers are 6 degree 40 mins both sides,

camber minus 1d 48 m left front and minus 1d 29m right front,  left 1d 19 m toe in and right 0d 32 m toe in

rear camber - left minus 1d 55 m and right minus 1 d 15 m , left rea 0d 15m toe in and right rear 0d 24 m toe out

thanks for any advice

Hi,

the coilovers are BC BR, 7kg front springs and 5 kg rear - the shock adjustment is about mid point front and rear - 32 clicks full range hard to soft

looking to sort the geo and then play with the shocks

what numbers do you recommend for the geo

Thanks for your help

Hi, 

thanks, yes, the settings are for the track

would you not balance up all the current settings as copied below - for example make the front right camber to match the front left  and the front and rear toe more in line with your advice to Rob F - Rear Toe: +6' per side. and Front Toe: -8' per side

Current settings

Camber minus 1d 48 m left front and minus 1d 29m right front,  left 1d 19 m toe in and right 0d 32 m toe in

rear camber - left minus 1d 55 m and right minus 1 d 15 m , left rea 0d 15m toe in and right rear 0d 24 m toe out