Camber bolts losing camber settings...

chris7676

:sad01_anim:

So, after I got the camber adjusting bolts as suggested by Tony, my MR2 mk1 was setup with -1 fronts and -1.5 rears. Did the track day when I span after which the camber lost its initial settings - to around +1 especially on the leftside rears (so you could see that easily)! Back to WIM, Tony set that again to what it should be. Now, after another track just after a day of proper though not even sideways driving it happened again... Can not believe this is the way it should be only because you drive you car harder (anyway without it you wouldnt really want more negative camber). Are the bolts not the right one for my car or have they not been fitted properly by Kipling's ? Bit annoying to say the least, what is the solution ?

I recall your car well.

As you say an "off" is understandable to moving the camber but not normal road/track driving.

The adjuster bolt you cannot fit incorrectly other than not torquing them up after adjustment.

What year is your car and what part number do you have for the bolts?

Tony - the car is a 1988 model, and as you suggested I got the bolts from Deamon Tweaks,

the part number 81250 for all the wheels. Was also wondering if it's possible that the standard camber adjusting plates that apparently are normally there wouldnt make it more likely to move? So...

Tony - the car is a 1988 model, and as you suggested I got the bolts from Deamon Tweaks,

the part number 81250 for all the wheels. Was also wondering if it's possible that the standard camber adjusting plates that apparently are normally there wouldnt make it more likely to move? So...

The part number is correct for the car..... How odd?

Is it the same side that's moved...

Is that the same part number as mine?

Could the strut be corroded to the point the teeth in the flanges can't bite? Very strange I'll agree, I've given my bolts all sorts of abuse and they've rarely budged an inch!

Is that the same part number as mine?

Could the strut be corroded to the point the teeth in the flanges can't bite? Very strange I'll agree, I've given my bolts all sorts of abuse and they've rarely budged an inch!

No Chris's is an early MR2 with the 81250 bolt, yours is 81260 bolt...... If i recall...

What's odd is that it's only one side that has moved (twice)

It's unlikely you'll ever get satisfactory results from basic camber bolts on the track, I always use shims on track once the geometry has been decided upon. They can handle the G's normally, but it's the curbs that make them move.

So far mine have yet to move anything significant and I do like riding the kirbs :)

It's the left rear only visibly now, though the previous time most positions moved (just looking at the printout).

After an off anything can move..... Nevertheless i'm not happy a camber has dropped away for no reason.

When you can Chris book her back in so we can have another look.

Yes, the only reason was hard driving and not even kerbs, so shouldnt be happening.

Tony - it would be in a few weeks time on an october saturday, anyway what can be done to ensure it doesnt move again - anything I can get sorted before or after the re-alignmenent?

Lets have a look and see whats happened.... I will probably change the bolt in case it's defective and re-calibrate the car...

If it happens again more drastic steps will be taken :lol:

It it not just one wheel so more like the struts than the bolts or something in between them ?

What are the "radical steps" btw ?

I don't know until we establish the problem.... It's likely wedges will be needed to remove stress between the strut and hub.

The problem we have is the fact the camber keeps moving positive, so the wedges will need to be below the strut....

Let me worry about that.

• 2 months later...
Tony, I know it's little notice but would this Saturday suit you for me to come to the WIM? Anyway any number I can call you on directly ?

Sorry Chris i am at the TDi Dyno meet on Saturday.....

I have some spaces on Sat 1st Dec....

• 2 weeks later...