Wheel Sizes

MondeoGhiaX

hi,

can someone please explain these wheel sizes to me:

4J x 12

4C x 12

4.5J x 12

i know the 12 is a 12 inch diameter wheel (if i am wrong then i may as well give up now). its the 4J, 4C, 4.5J bits i dont understand.

my haynes manual says i have 4J x 12 wheels, the handbook says 4C x 12. i am looking at a set of Dunlop D1 alloy wheels that are stated as 4.5J x 12. they are suposed to fit my 1300gt, and ive seen pictures of these wheels on this type of car, but they seem to stand proud of the wheel arches a bit, ie not in the same place as the steelies. is that to be expected? and will my 145/80 R12 tyres fit these wheels, or will i need different width tyres? i'm not too hot on wheel fitments to be honest, but i'm fairly sure the studs are in the right place at least.

cheers.

thanks,

it sounds sensible. but this is where i start to struggle. if the width of the wheel is 4 inches (rim to rim?), then why does a 145 (5.7 inch) or 155 (6.1 inch) tyre fit on it, or have i lost the plot here? how can you tell what width of tyre will fit on a particular wheel width?

i'd still like to know what width of tyre i can put on these 4.5J alloys. and does anyone know what the J and C stand for?

cheers.

Tyres and rims rarely match.

This chart doesn't show your sizes but gives you a good idea of the range of tyre widths (left) that can fit on varios rim width (right)

http://www.toyo.co.uk/productdetail.php?id...mp;product_id=2

I'd expect with such a large sidewall either size tyre you mention will be fine.

the toyo site does have the same info on my tyre size, and they appear to fit a rim of 3.5 to 5.0 inches. so maybe i will be ok with these wheels. i have no idea about the bead of the wheel though. B)

thanks.

The wheel bead will be J