Car pulling to left slightly on lift off

Steve-O

Hi all

Just throwing this out there to see what people think it could be. It seems recently the MX5 has started to pull slightly to the left when you lift off. The more urgent the lift off (just after accelerating) seems to make it more pronounced. 

As far as i know the brakes are not binding on any corner (gonna get them checked though). It was in at WIM for an alignment a while back and everything was tip top so i am confident everything is pointing in the right direction.

Could crap rubber be having an effect here? Possibly bushes seen better days?

Cheers

Steve

i'll try swapping wheels - the diff bushes are fairly recent (3 years old) and are poly. The symptoms are new. I suppose its possible the bushes have gone again if they were crap! :) might take her over for joe and the gang to have a poke about and get their persuasion bar on the case.

I would hint at a bush.

Try this:

Go to an empty car park, in 1st gear and floor it.

Does it pull one way when the power is applied?

When braking which was does the car go?

When on lift off which way goes the car go?

Its odd :#

Go to an empty car park, in 1st gear and floor it. - Straight

Does it pull one way when the power is applied? - not that i have detected

When braking which was does the car go? - straight

When on lift off which way goes the car go? - left

basically drives fine and when you run through the gears as the car dips momentarily between gears the nose wants to pull left very so slightly. The harder its driven the more pronounced it gets..

Doesnt make sense ?? :)

Check your diff mounting as tony states.

If it where to left on brake and lift off i would have pointed my finger at the front wishbone bushes...but because it only occures during lift off... I.e a torque change and minor deceleration... Its probably movement on the left side of the diff.

• 1 month later...

If there is no sensation of the pull via the steering/only a correction to keep straight, then rear end issue as the car is crabbing, effectively. Cause could be loss of correct wheel position (failed bush for instance) or, as I had, faulty rear dif. Is the dif oil level and servicing up to date? Any oil leaks..?

If dif related, expect further degradation symptoms of a pull one way under power to go along with the pull the other way on lift off that you already describe, then rear tramlining in reaction to bumps and vertical suspension movement of the rear suspension. As if the drive shafts can't move laterally and its pulling the rear subframe as a result, for example.

So, If levering suspension joints and rear subframe with a pry bar reveals no play etc, suspect dif.

Ps, what's tyre wear like?