SLK 171 crash repair

zenman63

Hi, I have an SLK i am rebuilding after a near side crash, damage bent the rear track control arm and damaged the front ball joint.

New parts fitted and just had it on a Hunter today.

It has setback of 8mm and steering wheel is off set and esp light is on.

I have just picked up some adjustment bolts to see if I can move it forwards just enough.

Caster is 10 deg 28 mins on the crash side.

Caster on the good side 12 deg 07 mins

camber on the crash side is -1deg 44 and in the green

camber on the good side is -1deg 02 and in the red

toe on the good side 0.15

toe on the crash side 0.12

Hi ya.....

First up i'm not concerned about the OSF camber being in the red so let that go...

As it reads you will need a NSF castor adjuster bolt fitted toward positive which adds about 35', that install will murder the NSF toe position which when corrected will reduce the camber by about 30'. Then you will need an OSF castor bolt fitted toward negative which will again murder the toe angle but when corrected reduce the camber indirectly toward negative.

Castor position key?

Castor is a difficult angle to understand so here's my way to explain it without a nose bleed..... Castor is a line measured through the front wheels upper ( sprung chassis ) and the lower ( unsprung chassis ) pivotal points. If you were in front of the car and pulled the wheel toward you then you would be adding the length of the unsprung chassis toward positive and pushing the wheel back would go toward a negative position.

At the moment one would assume the car has a tendency to pull left? if not then to camber force is belaying a pull since the camber force is more powerful than the castors directional force, so you need to be wise with a balance of figures between the camber and castor positions.