Getting a new transponder key cut

I need to get a spare cut for the MX5, it only came with one, but it has a transponder chip in it. I know Timpsons do them and they've said it'll either be £40 or £55 but does anyone know of any other places who do them cheaper?

That doesn't sound like a bad price actually if that's all coded and all. I remember for the Lexus it was possible to buy genuine keys off ebay for practically nothing and then just get the blade cut and program it yourself - is something similar possible for the MX-5?

Having said that though, particularly if it's £40 I'd just do that to save the hassle as I can't imagine it being that much cheaper.

I've done that with fobs before but I don't think it's possible with transponder chips. All the threads on nutz say you have to get it programmed by cloning an existing chip.

I need to take the key down there so they can scan it and give me a price but £40 would be ok. I've seen a few other independent places that do them but they're up north.

Timpsons will clone the transponder chip in your current key, so that it will work with your car (though they couldn't do my NC2 key, saying it was too new).  If you have both of the original transponder keys for your car then you can get a blank transponder key off Ebay and then code it your car yourself, then you just need to get the blank cut as normal.  Could save some cash that way :)

Josh 

Unfortunately it only came with 1 key so I need to get it cloned. I have found a small shop in a nearby town who can also do it for a starting price of £35 but again they need to scan the chip first.