Clutch judder

In my naive days owning Pog 405 i was told to slip the clutch in low gear for 20yds to remove any oil from the clutch plate. I did and it seemed to stop the judder. Was this pure chance or is there some logic to slipping the clutch?

Bump....

Any help on this topic would offer closure to the "true-false" question.

Would have thought that with oil on the clutch plate it would slip very well without any assistance from your left foot :wacko:

Bump....

Would have thought that with oil on the clutch plate it would slip very well without any assistance from your left foot :wacko:

Yeah and judder like a "bronco" but would slipping the clutch regain the surface?

Bump....

Yeah and judder like a "bronco" but would slipping the clutch regain the surface?

It'll depend on how much oil is on the plate,,and you'd have to ask yourself 'where from'. If it wasn't a lot then I daresay you could burn it off by slipping the clutch, but you'd glaze the plate and if the cause of the leak wasn't determined and corrected you'd only be delaying the inevitable.

I ran an idler gear bearing on my Mini Cooper 'S' (the Leyland one, not BMW) which resulted in putting a hole in the aluminium clutch housing from the well lubricated timing chain housing....clutch plates don't work well in an oil bath, and rapid forward motion on the M4 was soon curtailed ;)