IS300 Geometry

Tango

Tony...Guy on the US LOC forum complained about handling and tyre wear on his IS300 and got this reply:

As long as the alignment is within specs...you WILL get inside tread wear. That IS normal for the handling characteristics of the car. As the tech said, there are no camber plates available. Just be VERY sure that the car has not been wrecked and the tech aligns to SPEC! The toe setting on front & back is also very critical to premature tire wear...go to well know & GOOD alignment shop known for good & honest alignments & watch from a little distance ...some tech that are jerks will lean / hang on car to make the spec "appear correct" on your "printout sheet that they SHOULD give you for your records...they are lazy & either don't feel like doing it right or don't know how...I was a GM Tech for 18 years & Lexus tech for 3..so I DO KNOW the tricks! LOL! Just be aware that no matter what ..inside, front tire wear is to be expected. It SHOULD NOT be to bad though. Make sure to rotate your tires front to back & back to front about every 7,000 liles or so. You SHOULD be able to get pretty good mileage from GOOD quality tires & stock rims....or rims with the same "offset" as original. I think I put 28k on mine first ones. The Goodyear Eagle GSD-3 is a GREAT tire on the IS! Having had mine for over 6.5 years...I have see, read & tried many tire. A 225/45/17 is a perfect size. Even the 215/40or45/17 is as good. AIR PRESSURE is also critical! 33lbs!

I was going to put him (the original guy who cried for help, not the one that posted the above), in contact with you, but thought I'd leave the decision to you :D ..especially after reading the other post :D Perhaps there's an opportunity to market your settings in the USA...they obviously haven't got there yet.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...c=37724&hl=

Tony...Guy on the US LOC forum complained about handling and tyre wear on his IS300 and got this reply:

As long as the alignment is within specs...you WILL get inside tread wear. That IS normal for the handling characteristics of the car. As the tech said, there are no camber plates available. Just be VERY sure that the car has not been wrecked and the tech aligns to SPEC! The toe setting on front & back is also very critical to premature tire wear...go to well know & GOOD alignment shop known for good & honest alignments & watch from a little distance ...some tech that are jerks will lean / hang on car to make the spec "appear correct" on your "printout sheet that they SHOULD give you for your records...they are lazy & either don't feel like doing it right or don't know how...I was a GM Tech for 18 years & Lexus tech for 3..so I DO KNOW the tricks! LOL! Just be aware that no matter what ..inside, front tire wear is to be expected. It SHOULD NOT be to bad though. Make sure to rotate your tires front to back & back to front about every 7,000 liles or so. You SHOULD be able to get pretty good mileage from GOOD quality tires & stock rims....or rims with the same "offset" as original. I think I put 28k on mine first ones. The Goodyear Eagle GSD-3 is a GREAT tire on the IS! Having had mine for over 6.5 years...I have see, read & tried many tire. A 225/45/17 is a perfect size. Even the 215/40or45/17 is as good. AIR PRESSURE is also critical! 33lbs!

I was going to put him (the original guy who cried for help, not the one that posted the above), in contact with you, but thought I'd leave the decision to you :D ..especially after reading the other post :D Perhaps there's an opportunity to market your settings in the USA...they obviousl haven't got there yet.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...c=37724&hl=

Poor chap.... Can you please invite him here so everyone can read the topic....

I read the thread... Thank you for that. It's up to them now to continue the debate here since visibility on this topic should be held here so wim members can assist independently and with superior knowledge on the topic to aid the topic starter.....

I read the thread... Thank you for that. It's up to them now to continue the debate here since visibility on this topic should be held here so wim members can assist independently and with superior knowledge on the topic to aid the topic starter.....

There's been no reply as yet, perhaps it wasn't the answer he wanted to hear from this side of the pond :lol:

There's been no reply as yet, perhaps it wasn't the answer he wanted to hear from this side of the pond ;)

Your probably right... I am tempted to join and help but this would be invisible to wim-forum and add another club to my schedule..... Maybe you can cut/past a example thread from wim and show them how advanced we are on this issue :lol:

• 3 months later...

Well, I don't know about that guy, but I sure could use some help about the alignment on my IS if you don't mind :rolleyes:

my alignment is killing me in replacement tires. I take it to an alignment shop regularly and I'm starting to think they are cheating me (which might be true anyway) but it looks like this is a common problem with the IS.

Tony, could you please post your alignment settings. Thanks B)

Well, I don't know about that guy, but I sure could use some help about the alignment on my IS if you don't mind :rolleyes:

my alignment is killing me in replacement tires. I take it to an alignment shop regularly and I'm starting to think they are cheating me (which might be true anyway) but it looks like this is a common problem with the IS.

Tony, could you please post your alignment settings. Thanks :D

You have a pm B)

Well, I don't know about that guy, but I sure could use some help about the alignment on my IS if you don't mind :huh:

Tony, could you please post your alignment settings. Thanks :o

You have a pm :wub:

Tony, could you also help me out with my IS300 alignment? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Well, I don't know about that guy, but I sure could use some help about the alignment on my IS if you don't mind :thumbsup_anim:

Tony, could you please post your alignment settings. Thanks ;)

You have a pm :o

Tony, could you also help me out with my IS300 alignment? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

You have a pm :)

Hey Tony, I'd really like some help too if you're offering.. I've definitely noticed this uneven tire wear on my car, and I'd love to spend the money I spend on tires on more fun things :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for the help man!

Hello

Do you have any modifications to the suspension or wheel width/off-set?

Blimey WIM goes global ;)

Forget the company car Tony tis a small jet you will need :thumbsup_anim:

I wish.....

Hot spots for me are Edinburgh, Irland, Japan and Australia..... The US seem to be pretty wise on the Geo lark :)

The US seem to be pretty wise on the Geo lark :)

Whatever gave you that idea :thumbsup_anim:

I'm glad to see a few of our US friends are taking heed of your settings for the IS300, but as was the case in UK the only gain is in your reputation, not your bank balance. ;) Not just the IS first and second gen either, Toyota ought to be grateful, and show it!...and Mazda come to think of it.

The US seem to be pretty wise on the Geo lark :)

Whatever gave you that idea :thumbsup_anim:

I'm glad to see a few of our US friends are taking heed of your settings for the IS300, but as was the case in UK the only gain is in your reputation, not your bank balance. ;) Not just the IS first and second gen either, Toyota ought to be grateful, and show it!

Suppose my point was other then the IS issue i have very little dealings in the states.... They have a prolific attitude toward Geometry not alignment.

I am surprised that the IS tyre wear issues are just accepted as normal in the forums though?

As for the actual settings and reward?........ As you know the proven wim positions if done during the design stage would be worth £1000's, and although proven there can be complications during the calibration so an exact template is not possible to cover all eventualities.

Nevertheless i have a procedure available for future Gold/Platinum members only.

Tony, This Yank could use some help as well. Its killing me to replace tires that look like new.

thank you for your time.

Hello

I am sure you can appreciate the time involved to write each calibration is quite intensive.

All enquiries for calibration solutions should be here> http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/ind...hp?showforum=61

Nevertheless if you pm me all the cars details i will help one-to-one but for all those viewing this thread it's the last time! outside of the "General problems area".

• 2 months later...

Hello everyone. Been reading up and found an old post about the geometry issues regarding the IS 300. I have Tein coilovers, and the car is lowered about an inch and quarter, or about 30 mm. I have pilot sorts on there now, and I have changed the size to 18x8 rims, and running 225/40/18's.

Any help?

BTW, hey Tango. I've seen your posts everywhere.

:rambo: Hi Smooth1, I read yours with interest too, how's Orlando?...I'm in Texas almost as much as I'm in the UK, so you'll find me under the same name in a lot of US Lexus forums. Tony will probably tell you most of my UK IS250 has been hand carried across the Atlantic, but it's not true :cowboy:

Hello everyone. Been reading up and found an old post about the geometry issues regarding the IS 300. I have Tein coilovers, and the car is lowered about an inch and quarter, or about 30 mm. I have pilot sorts on there now, and I have changed the size to 18x8 rims, and running 225/40/18's.

Any help?

Hello

What is your objective with the calibration..... Tyre preservation or performance?