Another Mondeo Mk4 Hunter problem....

mrfitz

Hi Guys,

Similar to the guy on the other thread, my Mondeo has worn through the inner of the rear near side tyre.  I took it to have 2 new tyres on the rear and a check on the Hunter machine and the readout is as below.  Apparently 3' of camber on the rear is quite substantial!

Anyway, we found the bushes in both ends of othe lower rear arm to be worn badly so replaced this (The one the headliglt levelling device attaches to).  Still no difference to the camber reading.  

So is the only other thing that can affect the camber, the upper rear arm ?

The adjustable bush on the rear lower assembly (the one that holds the shock) has siezed solid but this only adjusts the toe.... I understand this can alter the camber slightly too but not enough to bring it back into tolerance.

I don't recall hitting anything out of the ordinary so am at a loss as to how this change so drastically.  Everything else under there looks fine and has had a few guys going over it with various suggestions but they all seem to be a bit hit or miss.... It's basically start with something and keep changing bits until it's fixed.  Personally I'd like to be a little more specific and narrow it down if possible.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Mark.

Hi Tony, I can't seem to attach anything to the post. The car has done 106000 miles and I've had it since 84000. Bought it just under a year ago. I don't think the camber has been out this far since I first acquired the car as I'm sure it would have shredded tyres before now!

Thanks Tony,

Mark.

Sorry about the delay guys, everything is on my computer at work!

You can see the camber on the rear nearside wheel is substantially different by just looking at the rear of the car.  I don't think it looks particularily low at the back....

I've got the link below to the readout and there is also a picture of all the suspension bits.... The one in orange has been replaced already as the bushings both ends were shot.  The rear upper arm would be my best guess (the one with green bushes on the pic).  The lower arm with the blue and yellow bearings on the pic has a problem.  The yellow adjustable bush has siezed which adjusts the toe....  Apparently this will slightly adjust the camber but not a lot.  Would the trailing arm bush (in red) affect the camber at all?

Many thanks,

Mark.

http://s36.photobucket.com/user/markfitzhenry/library/

I was under the impression it was both rears hence the coil comments.... Since it's the one side then there's a bend simple as that. If i recall correctly the hub is cast on your car and if yes you need to look for witness marks where the cast bends at 90 degrees to except the strut.

I must be thinking of the MK3..... The bend will be in a lateral component. Looking at the diagram the arm with the green bushings looks like the likely item. What would be ideal is to measure it's pick up points ( bolt holes ) and compare them to the other side.

Even if the old part looks ok still replace it since it's the most logical component to have bent at the moment and trust me i've removed a suspect part before and thought oh dear it looks ok only to find it was bent but not bent by eye.