Aligning Astra 2004 model 1.7cdti...

NickT

Hi All,

I have bought myself a supertracker (, calibrated and double checked with laser pointers) and have just done my first 4 wheel alignment on my 2005 (old model to 2004 model) Astra enjoy 1.7cdti.

I have had a look underneath the car and found no rear axle adjustment points as it appears to be a solid tosion beam type axle so I have followed the supertracker instructions for fixed rear axle.

I first set the tyre pressures to 32psi all round as per handbook with tyres cold and jacked the car up to check for anoy buckled alloy wheels.

The wheels are true.

I put the alignment tools on the rear, accounted for the fact that toe out on equipment is toe in etc and used a spirit level to make sure the supertracker is level.

I got the following results:

rear right rear left

+0.2mm toe -1.2mm toe ie total toe 1mm toe in

front right front left

1.9 flag marker 2.2 flag marker ie difference 0.3 biassed to the left.

I then halfed the difference ie 0.15

I locked the wheel centrally ran the engine for the electic power steering then moved the car backwards and forwards.

My garage floor is perfectly level.

Haynes book said total toe on front is 0mm ie parallel

I then put the alignment tools on the front and set the front toe to 0mm both sides

rear right rear left

3.2 flag marker 5.1 flag marker

front right front left

0mm toe 0mm toe.

So I used the instructions and got the average of the markers to account for the rear thrust angle

5.1+3.2= 8.3

8.3 / 2 = 4.15

Now, accounting for the rear thrust angle:

rear left = 4.15+0.15 = 4.3 (ie added as the rear to front was biassed to the left)

rear right = 4.14-0.15=4 (ie subtracted as the rear to front was biassed to the left)

so now my resulting reading is now set to:

rear right rear left

4.3 flag marker 4 flag marker

front right front left

-1mm toe +1mm toe ie toe difference is 0mm

i removed the supertracker, ran the engine, moved the car backwards and forwards then put the gear back on:

rear right rear left

4.3 flag marker 4 flag marker

front right front left

-0.9mm toe +1mm toe ie toe difference is +0.1mm

As this is my first go, would you say these results are typical for a mass produced bog standard car and have I done the procedure right?

The car appears to drive straight and the steering wheel is central.

I did the alignment as the toe was +1mm total and the wheel was to the left, the tyres scrubbed slightly on the inside.

Cheers in advance for any feedback.

Happy spannering.

NickT.

Difficult one to explain in type.

I assume you have the laser tracker so linear! Principle of this equipment is to establish the thrust angle.

Once the rear scales are on the initial suggestion is to establish an equal number on the rear scales....Ignore the steering position and move the steering wheel until each rear flag has the same number..... Lets say 5 each side. Now straighten the steering wheel and brace it. Obviously the rear flags have moved away from five! Now adjust the front wheel toe so that each rear wheel is returned to the number five digit. This has established the thrust angle.

Next move is to correct the front toe.... And i honestly don't think i can explain this in a written format, sorry!.... pm me a contact number and i will assist you verbally...... It's just to complicated..... Out of interest didn't Supertracker offer some training?

I assume you have the laser tracker so linear! Principle of this equipment is to establish the thrust angle.

Once the rear scales are on the initial suggestion is to establish an equal number on the rear scales....Ignore the steering position and move the steering wheel until each rear flag has the same number..... Lets say 5 each side. Now straighten the steering wheel and brace it. Obviously the rear flags have moved away from five! Now adjust the front wheel toe so that each rear wheel is returned to the number five digit. This has established the thrust angle.

Next move is to correct the front toe.... And i honestly don't think i can explain this in a written format, sorry!.... pm me a contact number and i will assist you verbally...... It's just to complicated..... Out of interest didn't Supertracker offer some training?

Sorry for taking long to get back to you.

I have scanned the pages from my manual:

http://www.deloreans.co.uk/alignment/

Note bottom of page 10 re:

For example, in a situation with (flag) readings 4 on the left and 6 on the right when measuring from rear, set the steering straight and adjust a two line difference on the rear scales on the right hand side when working from the front.

then on page 14 it shows that the offset is 1 to the right in total.

I will PM you my phone number.

Thanks in advance,

NickT.

ps I bought the supertracker from a garage closure so no training just the manual.

For example, in a situation with (flag) readings 4 on the left and 6 on the right when measuring from rear, set the steering straight and adjust a two line difference on the rear scales on the right hand side when working from the front.

Thanks in advance,

NickT.

ps I bought the supertracker from a garage closure so no training just the manual.

Dealt with verbally due to the complexities of the system. NickT will re-test the operational procedure and report back to wim. :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks in advance,

NickT.

Dealt with verbally due to the complexities of the system. NickT will re-test the operational procedure and report back to wim. :thumbsup_anim:

Thank you for your advice last night Tony it is appreciated.

I will get the extra information to you and will re-check.

Regards,

NickT.

Thanks in advance,

NickT.

Thank you for your advice last night Tony it is appreciated.

I will get the extra information to you and will re-check.

Regards,

NickT.

Not had chance to reply on here due to my broadband upgrade and the Mrs wanted some gardening doing. (I hate gardening)

Thanks to Tonys excellent advice over the phone last week I found that that the anti roll bar bushes were worn hence the small error in tracking.

I managed to get the bushes changed under warranty at Vauxhall and the car feels more stable.

I have not had chance yet to re-check the tracking but will do asap.

The car definately feels tighter on the road with the wheel coming more to centre.

Thanks again Tony. I will give my results when I re-check with your setup info.

NickT.

Your welcome. Thank you for sharing your example. The Anti-roll-bar drop link is a forgotten little component. Its transverse duties are more necessary than people think and often forgotten when owners are looking for solutions for a wide variety of problems.