The Lakes September 2013

Sagitar

We got our week in the Lake District, but the weather wasn't good for photography. I took one Fuji body and two zoom lenses, but they spent most of their time wrapped up in a plastics bag in my rucksack.

There was an occasional sunny patch but this pic on Derwent Water shows what it was typically like.

20130917LakesSeptember2013-50.jpg

We saw a lot of newly grown tree fungus looking very lush 

20130917LakesSeptember2013-13.jpg

and Peacock butterflies seemed to be everywhere. I understand it is a record year for them.

20130917LakesSeptember2013-19.jpg

We saw a lot of birds too. All the usual garden varieties and some, such as Wood Warblers and Dippers that I could not get close enough to for pictures. Here are a few of those that I did manage to snap.

A Jackdaw in Hope Park

20130917LakesSeptember2013-16.jpg

Goosanders in the rain on the Derwent

20130917LakesSeptember2013-34.jpg

A Heron on the Cocker near Jennings Brewery

20130917LakesSeptember2013-43.jpg

20130917LakesSeptember2013-44.jpg

Turnstones on the sea front at Silloth

20130917LakesSeptember2013-46.jpg

It was at Silloth that I spotted this typical British seaside behaviour . . . . .  :)

20130917LakesSeptember2013-47.jpg

. . . . and don't Brits love queueing?

20130917LakesSeptember2013-23.jpg

But we did see some more energetic activity - competitors coming up to the finishing line in the Lakeland Trails event at Keswick. The course length was 15k on tracks that went close to the summit of Lonscale fell - quite a run.

20130917LakesSeptember2013-42.jpg

We enjoyed our holiday - walked more than 12 miles on some days - but the visibility and the light was very disappointing and my photo-haul didn't match previous visits.

Great pictures as usual, my favorite is the action shot of the Turnstones by the sea and next the Peacock butterflies because of the color contrast. I'm intrigued about the pattern on the rock in the first picture, i trust this is man made?

I'm intrigued about the pattern on the rock in the first picture, i trust this is man made?

Thanks Tony. In 1995, the National Trust celebrated its centenary and commissioned various art works to mark the occasion. The split boulder is one of them and was created by a sculptor called  Peter Randall-Page.  I think the boulder may have come from one of the local slate quarries and the pattern is deeply incised into each of the two exposed faces.

The pattern has mathematical significance. The face is divided into ten segments; there are ten concentric circles and ten bends in the pattern in each segment. Multiplying any two of these gives the centenary value.

I like it very much and have photographed it several times. It seems to me to fit superbly into its environment and the split and the pattern give the feeling of discovery that comes from looking into our ancient past as well as representing the extent to which man has developed the power to modify the environment. Its location relative to the waterline of the lake is altered with the changes in the depth of the lake that result from varying weather and occasionally the stone is submerged completely. I regret that I have never been there to photograph it when it is actually in the lake.

I thought there might have been more information on the National Trust website, but my search found nothing much - maybe I looked in the wrong place. There are plenty of other sites that refer to it, but some of them are misleading, calling it for example the Millennium Stone when it has nothing to do with the Millennium.