brake discs

Stock ungrooved.

All you'll do on a road car with dimples and grooves is eat through pads quicker and give yourself extra dusty wheels.

Drilled discs will nearly always surface crack around the holes as they're drilled not cast in (unless you get porsche discs)

Stock ungrooved.

All you'll do on a road car with dimples and grooves is eat through pads quicker and give yourself extra dusty wheels.

Drilled discs will nearly always surface crack around the holes as they're drilled not cast in (unless you get porsche discs)

ah but this will be on a track car :thumbsup_anim:

the more cooling the better, the idea is to improve the braking, if new pads are needed more often so be it

and brake dust shows the real men :)

Personally I'm a fan of giving the brake pads as much disc surface to contact as possible.

Friction is a straight function of pad compound vs disc compound x pad to disc surface area (it goes without saying contact pressure is all important as well)

If the thermal capacity of the disc isn't large enough then by far and away the most effective way of increasing it is to make the disc bigger.

In my opinion messing about with slots and drilling holes is just an emergency measure, and reletively speaking makes little difference to disc's real ability to absorb kinetic energy and then radiate it as heat energy, in this scenario size really matters :rolleyes_anim:

He's so clever isn't he........ Bazza shall we duff him up :lol:

Four bottles of duff should do it :thumbsup_anim:

noooo ...................he is far too good looking for that, ..............................deserves far worse :D

he didnt mention what happens when you are limited by wheel size :lol:

went for grooved and dimpled , little bit of function and they look pretty :lol:

noooo ...................he is far too good looking for that, ..............................deserves far worse :D

went for grooved and dimpled , little bit of function and they look pretty :lol:

Yeah.. surely the smaller disk will be rotating faster allowing more friction..... despite the smaller surface area. The down side would be the venting so adding drills seems logical to me....?

Yeah.. surely the smaller disk will be rotating faster allowing more friction..... despite the smaller surface area. The down side would be the venting so adding drills seems logical to me....?

surely disc speed is governed by the speed of the vehicle/wheels/etc

the bigger disc would mean more frictional area allowing lower temperature build up

supposidly grooves allow temperatures to disperse hopefully lowering them

the bigger disc would mean more frictional area allowing lower temperature build up

A missing question was why did you feel the need to up-grade the friction?

was a need in wanting to be able to stop

with upgraded power the brakes are starting to get jealous :)

Poxy brakes.... you did the right thing.... Jealousy has no home when the powerhouse is in charge.....

went for grooved and dimpled , little bit of function and they look pretty :D

Poxy brakes.... you did the right thing.... Jealousy has no home when the powerhouse is in charge.....

Stop quoting each other! It messes up my instant notification and I can't see the rest of the post in email :D

Sorry Jon :) :) Couldn't resist :lol:

He's so clever isn't he........ Bazza shall we duff him up :D

noooo ...................he is far too good looking for that, ..............................deserves far worse :)

went for grooved and dimpled , little bit of function and they look pretty :)

Stop quoting each other! It messes up my instant notification and I can't see the rest of the post in email :D

Sorry Jon :D :) Couldn't resist :lol:

thats a bit naughty janey :lol:

He's so clever isn't he........ Bazza shall we duff him up :o

Four bottles of duff should do it :o

noooo ...................he is far too good looking for that, ..............................deserves far worse :)

he didnt mention what happens when you are limited by wheel size :o

Thanks! I think... B)

if the disc diameter is limited then you've got 2 options .....

1. make the pad and the disc out of materials which will continue to operate properly even when extremely hot (think Porsche style silicone carbide disc's and ceramic pads)

2. make the disc wider. The more disc material there is in total then the larger it's thermal capacity. A bit like a large body of water, steel has a latent heat capacity so for a certain time governed by it's mass it'll absorb energy and not actually increase in temperature.

This is of course making the huge assumption that the problem you have is that your brakes are over heating.

If the problem is simply insufficient friction that can easily be sorted by selecting an appropriate pad compound, for example the ultra aggressive carbon metallic that Jon runs.

Remember F1 cars run on 13" rims and can pull 4.5g in a braking moment, aanndd keep that up for 1.5hrs, so wheel size is no real excuse I'm afraid...... money however is a good excuse :)

He's so clever isn't he........ Bazza shall we duff him up :o

Four bottles of duff should do it :o

he didnt mention what happens when you are limited by wheel size :o

Thanks! I think... B)

if the disc diameter is limited then you've got 2 options .....

1. make the pad and the disc out of materials which will continue to operate properly even when extremely hot (think Porsche style silicone carbide disc's and ceramic pads)

2. make the disc wider. The more disc material there is in total then the larger it's thermal capacity. A bit like a large body of water, steel has a latent heat capacity so for a certain time governed by it's mass it'll absorb energy and not actually increase in temperature.

This is of course making the huge assumption that the problem you have is that your brakes are over heating.

If the problem is simply insufficient friction that can easily be sorted by selecting an appropriate pad compound, for example the ultra aggressive carbon metallic that Jon runs.

Remember F1 cars run on 13" rims and can pull 4.5g in a braking moment, aanndd keep that up for 1.5hrs, so wheel size is no real excuse I'm afraid...... money however is a good excuse :)

opted for the mintex 1144 pads

with braided hoses and new discs, hopefully should feel some benefit

and yes i will go for the optional money excuse :)