My car has lunched the outside edge of another tyre..........

.........just wondered if anybody might have an idea what to look for,

Back in 2012 my NSR tyre on my 2005 Volvo V70 was wearing badly on the outside edge, even though I had previously had an alignment done,  and I took the car into WIM for a full GEO at the beginning of May.

Unfortunately, there was found to be nothing to alter with the setup and after discussion about tyre history (the tyre was on the same wheel/axle from new) I swapped the two rear wheels over to prolong the tyre life a little.

The worn tyre (now OSR) was replaced during the MOT at the beginning of July (although strictly not illegal) and due to some front components being changed a 4-wheel alignment was done. It was suggested that this might resolve the tyre wear issue although I saw no reason why it would.

One year and 5-6K miles on, approaching the MOT again, and the now NSR tyre (was previously OSR) is again worn smooth on the outside edge.

I guess this is not a wheel or tyre issue but am unsure what to check out next - perhaps something in the rear suspension needs attention.

Any ideas?

Steve O.

Where is your driving environment Steve?

Hello Tony - I am in Wiltshire, not far from Trowbridge if that is what you mean?

Most of my driving is country roads - 20/30/40/50/NSL and two roads with speed humps that I drive over twice a day. Lots of potholes that I generally try to avoid - oncoming traffic permitting.

I have had the car 3 years this week and done 20K miles so 6K is average (or just below) for me. I calculate that I get 500 miles to a tank and fill up once a month-ish which fits in with the 6K difference between the MOTs.

This is my last Bridgestone tyre - an ER300 IIRC ( I have gone through loads of them and gradually replaced them on all corners).

The previous edge worn tyre was also a Bridgestone but the model that preceded the ER300.

They seem pretty hopeless on a Volvo V70 - I have had less than 4K from a set of fronts, yet the Neutons that replaced them at nearly £40 cheaper have done over 10K and are still going.strong. Higher wear rating on the Neutons.

Steve O.

Assuming the toe hasn't gone wrong then i would set it as far negative as the tolerance will allow.

Thanks Tony - I'll raise this with the dealer tomorrow as the car is due for it's MOT - maybe they can sort it.

I assume that nothing has changed since it was checked - the original tyre was worn before the check, and the replacement has worn exactly the same way.

I am assuming that a harder compound tyre will take longer to become an issue but won't resolve the underlying problem - whatever that is.

Any downsides to adjusting the Toe as you suggest?

How does/would a Toe go wrong as you put it?

Steve O.