MK4 Golf strange front tyre wear

Beachy

Hello firstly being a new member I would like to say that I find the website and forum to be very informative and interesting.

I have a totally standard 2001 MK4 VW Golf 1.6 SE 16V with 14" steel wheels. I had to get a pair of new front tyres for a recent MOT. I examined the old tyres (Firestone F580) and the n/s/f tyre was scrubbed below the legal limit on the inside 1/4 width of the tyre and the o/s/f was scrubbed below the legal limit on the outside 1/4 width of the tyre. There was about 3mm of tread remaining accross the rest of both tyres.

If the tracking was out of adjustment I would have expected both front tyres to be scrubbed on the same side i.e. both outside or both inside. I understand that incorrect camber settings cause a narrow width of tyre wear.

I have noticed that since having the new tyres fitted the steering wheel is slighly off centre to the right when driving in a straight line.

Please could you advise what could be causing this?

Many thanks

Hello and welcome to wim

The tyre wear can only be camber related since the Mk4 has an "optimised" camber adjustment.

post-2-1337327010.jpg

post-2-1337327028.jpg

Most places won't have that data but if they follow the instructions then it's an easy fix.

Hello Tony,

Wow, thanks for your prompt reply and the information complete with photos.

If I am understanding this correctly the n/s/f has slightly too much negative camber and the o/s/f has slightly too much positive camber and this will also affect the tracking and steering wheel angle. I am guessing that it is only slightly out as the tyres lasted over 10,000 miles of gentle driving.

I don't think my local tyre centre in Daventry has the equipment required to measure camber angle, just the front tracking.

I see that you have a centre at Milton Keynes but I cannot find a way of booking a wheel alignment there online.

Kind regards

Mark

Yes to negative and to positive, but fixable. You can book here online,all we need is a date and time, as for cost if we had to adjust everything including the rear, then worst case is £95+ vat.

Yes to negative and to positive, but fixable. You can book here online,all we need is a date and time, as for cost if we had to adjust everything including the rear, then worst case is £95+ vat.

When I went to book a Wheel alignment / Steering geometry on the website it quoted me £45+vat. I selected Volkswagen Golf/Bora (1997 - 2006). Please can you explain what is causing the big difference in price.

Thanks

Mark

Yes i can, it's thanks to a p**s poor web designer not giving me the keys to amend prices. The £45+ vat is for front toe only.. I am on the case.

Thanks for the clarification.

• 2 months later...

I have a similar problem with my golf mk4, after i replaced the steering rack.

To do this i obviously had to remove the subframe and now have negative camber on driver side front and positive camber on the passenger side front,

Do any of your branches do the subframe realignment?