MX5 Offset vs Handling

jon.l

Reading a few posts over on MX5 Nutz about the effects of lowering the offset on an MX5 have lead me to wonder if there is a point where you can still retain a large part of the cars characteristics (which we all know and love) but also have an increased contact patch/wider 'stance' (I hate that word)?

I know that generally there are two types of people, those fit the wheels that make the car handle the best and those that fit the wheels that make their car 'look' the best, but can there be a happy medium where one can, say, make the look a little more aggressive or even just open up more choices of wheels? I understand past a certain point you are changing a lot of fundamentals in the geometry of the suspension, I wouldn't be looking to push that far, just to perhaps fill the arches out a little.

Cheers

Jon

Thanks for replying Tony, if for example I was to fit a set of 8j wheels with a low offset (et10 or et0), are we saying thats really not a good thing or can the car still handle well on these. It's unlikely I'd do that but I'm interested in asking the question :o

Jon

Yep that makes sense, cheers ;)

In the grand scheme of things am

I going to be better off with the right offset/size wheels for adjustments sake? Ie can the car adopt a wider range of settings with the right wheels? I'm guessing yes but advice from those who know is always good.

Cheers

Jon