Twisted Chassis?

clark_rally

summary.jpg

Hi there, I wandered if someone could have a quick look at my printout? I think the chassis must be twisted but would like someone to back me up :( Or shoot me down! :( Rear isnt adjustable, front everything is. Can set camber and castor to correct figures, although cams on alignment bolts are all over the place but when it comes to set the toe, the rack would appear to not be in the centre and you run out of adjustment with the steering wheel set straight. I could set the rack to the center and the remove and reposition steering wheel, but I shouldnt need to do that if its never been removed before. SAI and IA look fine?, but looking at setback there is near 30' of difference. Is this the cause of problems? This vehicle has been in a smash and had new wishbone, damper and hub carrier on front right. Looking round the vehicle there are other signs that all is not right, cab mountings twisted, panel gaps to pickup bed are hugely different left to right. The front doors, wings and bumpers have all had work or replacement panels fitted. Sorry the scan is a little faded and hard to read. Many Thanks

Barry

Hello Barry

There's not a twist between the un-sprung ( under the suspension ) and the sprung ( on top of the suspension ) chassis but there is a bend.

As you may know the chassis consists of two main rails and there's no real direct connection between them at the front like a cross-member but. The NS wheel had moved forward and the OS wheel back. By adjusting the castor the set-back evolved, this pushed the toe angle which has insufficient adjustment to compensate.

You need to look for a bend in the castor angles plane which is longitudinal, meaning the lower pivotal point ( ball joint ) and the upper pivotal point ( suspension top mount ) and turret.

I'm not concerned with the camber correction or the steering rack being off-line, those are not your problems.

Hi tony, many thanks for the speedy reply! I've not been at work today so not had another chance to have a look at it. Hopefully it is still there on Monday when I get back an I can have another look, all the.suspension components on offside have been replaced tho, so you think it could be the mounting points that have moved or could the near side have bent a wishbone as well? Am I following you correctly?

Thanks