MR2 Geometry set-up

Tony

Spent much time this week exchanging emails with someone who wants to mimic a set-up wim wrote for another MR2 sw20 last year. Although i don't agree with "mimicking" i did agree to overview the procedure since the results are only possible if the cars adjustments are compliant, if not the positions would need to be established on the fly retaining balance. Today the customer handed the data to the operator then requested our link... He refused!.. He was aware of wim and despite the calls from the owner wanting the best for his money they still refused to talk to wim.

I am yet to review the results but i can strongly assume this... The operator was scared to converse with wim, most likely because the understanding of Geometry was retained in the machine not the operators head so talking with us could leave a void... This is really poor since our intentions were for the customer and we never ever belittle the shop only help. This is why after three years visible online we have so few "trusted centres".

Which setup was he going for?

Hopefully a chap found you via IMOC?

Forgive me for not displaying the actual positions but the set-up was fast road with slight corner-off oversteer. The owner has sent me the Geometry report, not only did they refuse to contact wim but they did not set the car as requested by the owner...... In fact the before and after positions are the same so they did nothing at all! Cost £40+ vat for "nothing" .... Personally i am a little ticked at this and i have asked the owner if he wants wim to approach the company for an explanation, i hope he says yes!

What's corner-off oversteer?

If he's mimicking someone then the setup is already in the public domain?

Not all communication is in the public gaze. Corner-off over-steer is designed to allow the chassis Geometric position to transport thrust at the moment of pneumatic slip coefficient. Camber/toe gain can welcome the final transition of weight transfer allowing the tyre to transient from lateral torsion to longitudinal application of thrust.. My version is very gentle and for the novice.

And how does that geometry speak translate into what the driver might feel? The term corner-off oversteer instantly made me think " :thumbsup_anim: " as leaving a corner is the worse possible moment for oversteer.

Shame somethings as simple as geometry positions are kept secret.

And how does that geometry speak translate into what the driver might feel? The term corner-off oversteer instantly made me think " :thumbsup_anim: " as leaving a corner is the worse possible moment for oversteer.

Shame somethings as simple as geometry positions are kept secret.

How global is this conversation... If we are talking track only then the parameters change depending on the drivers needs. Chassis calibration is not a law but deserved suggestions. I think you will agree the transient period between tyre slip and reactive application of thrust (corner off) at the diminishing end of polar yaw is not only necessary but inevitable... On the track this transition is violent pneumatically speaking and would need refining so suit the drivers abilities.