Mondeo MK3 pull and vibration

Tony

This descending post is from (wim meg) The pull is due to the rear thrust position so we can dismiss that... what troubles me is the vibration?

Car: Mondeo MK3 2.0D index 2002, 84K, Manual.

Symptoms: Vibration at the same speed point 75mph.. increased speed does not increase the level of vibration nor can it be driven through. The vibration is at the rear and the cars steering during the vibration is not nervous or light

The post:-

................................................................................

I have always had to point the steering wheel slightly left to go straight which I was told is only adjustable with the tracking, so i had this done, under warranty, then i had to steer right, so i had it done again. once they had done this is was back exactly the way it was so i left it as the company that i bought it from who were foing the work is about 30 miles away and was sick of doing the round trip twice!! (once to take it in and come home in the 'courtesy' car 800cc daewoo matiz!!!)

it has a tendency to wander to the left if you let it go and at high speed - about 75mph+ it vibrates like hell but not through the wheel, its the whole car it frightens the hell out of the missus!!!

what do you think i need to do/have done and any idea of the damage?(cost)

................................................................................

Any ideas welcomed please.

How is the vibration felt? Through your arse or hands?

Arse... Initially i'm thinking some form of damper issue but the cars steering still feels secure during the vibration... If it were RWD then drive train could be the criminal but the Monedo is FWD. Once the vibration starts it does not intensify or diminish with speed? I'm stumped.

Maybe a bush is stuffed or something is loose/hasn't been bolted back together properly to do with a subframe, and it resonates at that speed :(.

Does it always happen at 75 or only when its warm, ie if he started the engine and went straight to 75 does it still vibrate? I understand thats not something alot of people can test not living near 2 lane dual carriageway etc...

Maybe a bush is stuffed or something is loose/hasn't been bolted back together properly to do with a subframe, and it resonates at that speed :(.

Does it always happen at 75 or only when its warm, ie if he started the engine and went straight to 75 does it still vibrate? I understand thats not something alot of people can test not living near 2 lane dual carriageway etc...

Always at 75mph at the rear.... As the speed increases the level of vibration stays the same.

Tony,

I know that on the MK1 and MK2 Mondeos, the front subframe has to be dropped to replace the clutch. If it doesn't go back together perfectly, then it'll pull to one side. My MK1 Mondeo still does it to this day.

WIM MEG, I like the name :lol:

WIM MEG you put it there :( http://www.fordmondeo.org/forum/showforum.php?fid/43/ or we could have http://www.mx5ocforum.co.uk/viewforum.php?...afc7ca1b5f644eb

and here http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1161091674 .....

You certainly keep yourself busy mate!

And people think i sleep "pah" ..... In truth Nick busy is good and examples like this one from MEG i take hold of untill the bitter end, i spoke to him yesterday trying to conclude the reasons behind the problem but i am stumped? hence the extended sharing of problems here... Personally i feel the criminal is the rear wishbone bushings and the frequency between the play and the suspension coils.... there is a void between the two.

And people think i sleep "pah" ..... In truth Nick busy is good and examples like this one from MEG i take hold of untill the bitter end, i spoke to him yesterday trying to conclude the reasons behind the problem but i am stumped? hence the extended sharing of problems here... Personally i feel the criminal is the rear wishbone bushings and the frequency between the play and the suspension coils.... there is a void between the two.

Lol, just had a quick look in your forum (I don't read 1/10 of the stuff that gets posted on my site :lol: ) and I see Totalguy is even on your side :(

I'll be following this problem with interest (I want to see if the MK3 is afflicted with the subframe problem like the MK1 and MK2).

Lol, just had a quick look in your forum (I don't read 1/10 of the stuff that gets posted on my site :lol: ) and I see Totalguy is even on your side :(

I'll be following this problem with interest (I want to see if the MK3 is afflicted with the subframe problem like the MK1 and MK2).

Ready for some insider information?.... In view of the fact i have the 10hr work day then all the distressed emails then the forums then the wim forum i need help, so i contacted Totalguy in MEG because he fought me every step i took reading knowledgeable within my field so we had a pm session resulting in him supporting wim in my absence (top respect to him) Like you i cannot be everywhere so we need our allies...

Tonight i spoke to the Mondeo owner (hello Glen) and we have concluded that the rear cross-member bushings need checking, Glen has agreed and will keep us apprised.

Lol, just had a quick look in your forum (I don't read 1/10 of the stuff that gets posted on my site rolleyes_anim.gif ) and I see Totalguy is even on your side :thumbsup_anim:

Ready for some insider information?.... In view of the fact i have the 10hr work day then all the distressed emails then the forums then the wim forum i need help, so i contacted Totalguy in MEG because he fought me every step i took reading knowledgeable within my field so we had a pm session resulting in him supporting wim in my absence (top respect to him) Like you i cannot be everywhere so we need our allies...

Tonight i spoke to the Mondeo owner (hello Glen) and we have concluded that the rear cross-member bushings need checking, Glen has agreed and will keep us apprised.

Wow, thats good news for you! I was wondering what had caused his turn of faith! :lol:

I'm glad it's working out for you! I wish I could find more knowledgeable experts to cover other fields on my site. They are far and few between ;)

Quote:-Nick

You do have some very talented people in MEG the only distraction i ever witness from volunteers is time! Devoting free time at the professional level is quite a commitment, whereas posting a problem as a member is quick and easy by comparison.

Example:- "My car squeaks at 110mph shall i empty my ashtray"..... Or "last week i had a puncture now my radio is broken shall i sue?" As ridiculous as these posts are most get a reply from solid team members wanting to help.

Can i suggest checking the rear bumper mountings and the prescence or otherwise of any plastic undertray at the rear. I know it sounds crazy but i had a mate who had this problem on a mondeo and this was what we found in the end. Because a plastic deflector was missing at high speed the rear bumper acted as a sail and flapped badly, which was easily visible from behind in another car!! I vaguely recall a missing support bracket too.