Michelin RFT

parthiban

I know WIM aren't generally big fans of the RFT but my brother just swapped the OEM Bridgestones on the rear of his Z4 with Michelin RFTs and he's been amazed at the difference.

The handling, road noise and general comfort have all improved massively, claims it feels like a different car and is now contemplating making an early change on the fronts too.

Interesting how even among the RFTs there are vast differences between the different brands.............

I remember driving IS200s on Bridgestones back when they had them around as courtesy cars and being surprised as to how awful they felt compared to mine which was on Dunlops - if those same characteristics carry through on the RFTs then I suppose the difference will still exist (but made worse as you've now stuck the RFT stuff in there too!)

When you say construction what do you mean? So is the rubber compound going to be the same between different tyre makes but of the same speed rating?

• 2 weeks later...
One would think the only difference would be the tread pattern and silica mix, the actual construction under the rating ( H, V, X, Y ) and so on should be the same over the makes.

Strange as it may seem, the Michelin is the best many have used. I know from personal experience an 18" Michelin PS2 ZP, is the best working RFT I've driven on a 3-series car. Much more like a 'normal' tyre.

I do wonder if the run-on capacity is the same as the Bridgestone.

HighlandPete

One would think the only difference would be the tread pattern and silica mix, the actual construction under the rating ( H, V, X, Y ) and so on should be the same over the makes.

Strange as it may seem, the Michelin is the best many have used. I know from personal experience an 18" Michelin PS2 ZP, is the best working RFT I've driven on a 3-series car. Much more like a 'normal' tyre.

I do wonder if the run-on capacity is the same as the Bridgestone.

HighlandPete

That is interesting, I read it on a number of BMW forums that the PS2s make a huge difference to the Z4 which doesn't have an ideal suspension setup for UK roads - good to know it works on other BMWs too. In fact I never hear a bad word about Michelin tyres in general - is it possible they are just better tyres all round?

As runflats can now be repaired in some cases, they are slowly moving towards being an effective replacement for normal tyres.