MX5 NC Setting up

eddiek

What is the correct procedure setting up my alignment on MX5 NC 2007 Sport. Had it done at my local tyre depot and still not quite happy with it. Been back twice to sort steering wheel off centre retracked rear and front again and still not quite centered. On the rear they only appear to adjust the lower arm bolt to obtain settings on their digital machine. I notice there is also an adjuster on the forward upper arm as well but they were not concerned about this.What angles would this change. Had two new Bridgestone Potenza fitted to the rear as thought the tyres worn badly on outer edge may have been the alignment and causing torque steer . So got them to carry out an alignment check. No more torque steer now. Only had the car a couple of weeks but would like to get it sorted properly. Also the car feels quite stiff to turn from centre position on steering wheel, is this normal on mk3

First visit when I got the car

Front Total Toe before +3.70 After +1.40

Caster No Before and after on printout

Camber Angle Before +0 01` After +0 03` Before -0 02`After -0 01`

Partial Toe Before +1.80 After +0.70 Before +1.90 After +0.70

Rear. Total Toe Before +6.10 After +2.20

Camber Angle Before -1 11`After -1 09` Before -1 22` After -1 19`

Partial Toe Before +3.50 After +1.10 Before +2.60 After +1.10

Fitted two new tyres to rear and rechecked settings and this is what I got on on print out .

Front Total Toe Before -0.70 After +1.60 Camber Before +0 08` After +0 08` Before +0 11`After +0 11`

Partial Toe Before -0.70 After +0.80 Before -0.10 After +0.80

Rear. Total Toe Before +1.90 After +2.20

Camber Angle Before -0 55` After -0 59` Before -1 00` After -0 59`

Partial Toe Before +0.50 After +1.10 Before +1.40 After +1.10

Last visit to try and centre steering wheel did not get printout , can only asume settings are not changed too much

Figures displayed are fine but it's absolutely vital the castor is measured and corrected, if it's wrong the handling will be pants.

Will ask them to do it. Wonder why they dont check this, as thier machine obviously can do it. Is this the reason for the heavy steering ? Which adjuster alters the caster?

Blimey that's a trek...... Just get them to measure and set the castor to 6 degrees and see how she drives.

Tony I take it that would be +6 degrees. Thanks again

Yep..... Castor is only ever positive.

So we are back to the original question what is the correct procedure(order) setting up the MX5 and what does the adjuster on the front upper arm on the rear suspension adjust. Do we start at the rear , camber, toe and then move on to the front caster, camber, toe ?

The two rear lower arms both adjust the toe and camber so they need to be optimized.

Then front camber, castor, toe, re-measure the chassis, then fine tune all the positions, lock all the adjusters, then do a printout.