Tyre Temperatures

jon

I know what needs to be done but in true Tony fashion i'll throw it out to suggestion and enlightenment.

After a recent silverstone trackday my tyres measured:

.........O	  C	 I	  I	  C	  O
NSF   61.3 | 54.5 | 53.4 | 54.5 | 51.4 | 49.6 OSF
NSR   74.0 | 64.0 | 64.0 | 64.8 | 61.6 | 57.5 OSR

Bearing in mind it's an anti clockwise circuit with the last 2 corners very hard right handers. Temperatures were taken after a cool down lap with (hot) pressures of 35psi rear and 31psi front. The rear tyres over heated in that session, i'd estimate they were probably closer to 100c before the cooldown lap.

On the plus side i laped as fast as anything and had a battle with a 996 GT3 RS and won!

I know what needs to be done but in true Tony fashion i'll throw it out to suggestion and enlightenment.

After a recent silverstone trackday my tyres measured:

O	  C	 I	  I	  C	  O
NSF   61.3 | 54.5 | 53.4 | 54.5 | 51.4 | 49.6 OSF
NSR   74.0 | 64.0 | 64.0 | 64.8 | 61.6 | 57.5 OSR

Bearing in mind it's an anti clockwise circuit with the last 2 corners very hard right handers. Temperatures were taken after a cool down lap with (hot) pressures of 35psi rear and 31psi front. The rear tyres over heated in that session, i'd estimate they were probably closer to 100c before the cooldown lap.

On the plus side i laped as fast as anything and had a battle with a 996 GT3 RS and won!

You cementing the 996 doesnt surprise me :) jon i don't understand the O C I I C O code can you expand on this... also what is the temperature code marked on the sidewall of the tyre 'A, AA, B ,C'.

Bridgestone s02's, so AA.

O = outside, C = Center, I = inside of the tyre.

I layed out the temperatures as if you were looking at the car from above. Very useful for a clear picture.

Bridgestone s02's, so AA.

O = outside, C = Center, I = inside of the tyre.

I layed out the temperatures as if you were looking at the car from above. Very useful for a clear picture.

Yes mate , the second 'I' threw me.... :)

I feel donnington will be a more interesting study, the silverstone national is a bit rubbish.

The temperature range displayed is compliant with the track design the pneumatic slip angle, weight transition and slight over-steer... The osf O @ 49.6 (cool) and osr O @ 74 (hot) supports that.

What are you objectives with this information jon?

Well, looking at those temperatures I'd say the outside of both the near side tyres are being well overworked, thus needing more camber for the long right handers.

However it's also clear due to the lack of left handers the INSIDE of the OFFSIDE tyres are being over worked due to too much camber.

I guess it will always be a compromise, but for that circuit i'd like to see the temperatures with at least another degree front and rear as it's the near side tyres we need to be using to their full potential.

BTW, you've your temperatures mixed up in that post Tony.

Well, looking at those temperatures I'd say the outside of both the near side tyres are being well overworked, thus needing more camber for the long right handers.

However it's also clear due to the lack of left handers the INSIDE of the OFFSIDE tyres are being over worked due to too much camber.

I guess it will always be a compromise, but for that circuit i'd like to see the temperatures with at least another degree front and rear as it's the near side tyres we need to be using to their full potential.

BTW, you've your temperatures mixed up in that post Tony.

nsf/osr/ inside leg...... I'm just tied mate!..... same findings though :)

Long..............Looooooong time ago i used to set a Formula Ford Geometry and every other week this car would appear for another set-up.... strange i thought :lol: The reason was that the developers used completely different set-up's for each track (dam obvious now) but at the time this seemed strange.

The results from the tyre temperatures will always be inconsistent depending on the track so i struggle to overlap the temperature results and the Geometry positions in a global format.... fine tuning yes but conclusive no?

Also the inside of the offside tyres are reacting to weight transfer/Pneumatic slip this is evident on the ns tyre temperatures, to counter the temperature differential by manipulating the Geometry positions would only benefit the one corner, by example. This would be detrimental to the straights and vary with the corner radii.

You're right it varies corner to corner and more importantly track to track, but in that example i feel more camber would be benificial over the total laptime.

Do you not agree?

You're right it varies corner to corner and more importantly track to track, but in that example i feel more camber would be benificial over the total laptime.

Do you not agree?

I have to agree!.... Secretly since i know the toe positions are wrong :lol: The summary displayed is not without error and we are both aware debate in an attempt to seek a reasonable conclusion would be wrong... agreed :)

Collective analysis in every possible format is healthy, if this only forms part of future reconstructive formula then the results are fantastic in the collective bank... Your data is very valuable and we need to expand your efforts in a absolute testing format.

I like the idea of a proper testing / datacollection format. Time to get naughty with the spreadsheets!

The only problem i have with winding in more camber is on the drive to the tracks i'm wearing the inside of the tyre quite badly, i need to get a trailor i think :)

I like the idea of a proper testing / datacollection format. Time to get naughty with the spreadsheets!

The only problem i have with winding in more camber is on the drive to the tracks i'm wearing the inside of the tyre quite badly, i need to get a trailor i think :lol:

The tyre wear was expected, the rate suggested so no real surprises there jon... I will be investing in corner weighting and chassis diagnostics very soon so we can explore much more information, this i am sure will open another door for us both :lol:

• 2 years later...

These are my thoughts.

Any comments on the logic or oterwise would be appreciated.

Temperatures consistant with a clockwise circuit as the NS outer and OS inner are at higher temps.

Silverstone is an anti-clock circuit?

I believe, ideally the centre temp should be the average of the two outer temps

............O C I I C O

NSF 61.3 | 54.5 | 53.4 | 54.5 | 51.4 | 49.6 OSF

NSR 74.0 | 64.0 | 64.0 | 64.8 | 61.6 | 57.5 OSR

Average

NSF 57.35 OSF 52.05

NSR 69.00 OSR 61.15

On the OS tyres the average temp is within 1 degree of the central temp.

So the assumption (of this particular idiot who know's nothing!) is that the OS set up is OK under cornering, but something is altering the camber of the NSwheel on cornering to remove weight from the inner to the outer edge of the tyre.

Is this camber, toe or tyre under pressure and scrubbing?

Or could it be just the time taken to measure the temps?

Having just looked at that again, the max difference from average to actual is 5 degrees. What is the aceptable limit for temp differences before we say, yes there is something not working OK and that is down to 'noise,' time taken to read etc

h

• 3 weeks later...

@ HMS

Silverstone (national) is clockwise. There is only one left hand turn that generates any temperature and it's short.

It's been so long since this day I've forgotten how the car was. It was probably tail happy, as I like it :D