Tyres for sprinting 14"

hms

The only spare wheels we have for the Hornet are 14"

I am starting to sprint in the Hornet next month and am looking for suitable tyres.

Upon recomendation I am looking at the Maragoni Zeta linnea tyres. WIM have suggested 185 60 14.

I am concerned with the profile of the tyre considering what I intend to do with them. Is my concern valid?

If I went down to a 50 profile I understand the rolling radius has changed so speedo will be out, not a worry, but how would that affect the alignment/handling.

Which is better to do, high profile and +4psi to stiffen the sidewall or smaller profile and put up with any handling differences?

PS Tony Jay was meant to be coming back with the Maragoni prices yesterday, haven't heard.

h

I have seen a few layouts of sprint courses, Hethel, Bentwaters and North Weald. Straights with corners and chicanes, with Hethel having a 360 around a roundabout!

So apart from the roundabout sounds pretty much like a track day to me!

I wasn't going to change the alignment as I didn't see much difference between sprinting and track days apart from not being able to get tyres and pads up to temp in a couple of minutes! ...But then what do I know.

Regarding the aspect ratios, I've never driven above 50 aspect ratio on track, my Toyo's with an extra 4psi and 888's 2 psi extra. I'm thinking that with a 60 aspect tyre I would have to put in too much air to stiffen the sidewalls and have the tyre solid.

Am I worrying about nothing then?

I am also starting a blog on my sprinting endeavours: www.sprintingfive.wordpress.com/made-the-decision/

Work in progress at the moment tho'

h

I'll leave the alignment as is otherwise the Hornet will be in and out of WIM like a fiddlers elbow.

One of the reasons for doing the sprinting is to learn more and improve my driving skills. I'll watch the current set up and see if it is holding me back. If it is I may then change it, if my skill, as I suspect, is not good enough to notice the problem then I'll carry on as is!

I think decent results are some time away, for the time being I expect to be the strongest competitor there, at the bottom holding everyone up above me!

I take it then that a 60 profile tyre is nothing to be concerned with?

h