More poor design!

Roger440

Following on from the french damper thread, we came across a similar problem last week.

Whilst fitting our first production coil over kit to a Vauxhall Monaro, after fitting the rear dampers, there was an annoying light knocking sound. After several futile hours of fitting and removing looking for the source, i found that if i pushed the damper from the side the noise stopped.

Basically, the noise was damper "sticktion". The cause however was revealed by disconnecting the damper from the trailing arm with the top mount fully done up. It didn't point at it mounting. It needed to be pushed 2 inches across to meet its mounting point on the trailing arm. Effectively it was putting a side load onto the damper rod thus increasing the friction levels leading to the noise.

Despite trying softer mounting bushes, eventually the only solution was to create a new top mount that clamped to the body with an eye bolt mounting for the damper. This then allows the damper alignment to be corrected.

Voila! no more noise!

Looking back, i now realise i have seen several rear dampers leaking on these cars, all less than 2 years old. Not suprising really! What is surprising is that they can get the design so wrong. Its no more difficult in this case to get it right.

Following on from the french damper thread, we came across a similar problem last week.

Whilst fitting our first production coil over kit to a Vauxhall Monaro, after fitting the rear dampers, there was an annoying light knocking sound. After several futile hours of fitting and removing looking for the source, i found that if i pushed the damper from the side the noise stopped.

Basically, the noise was damper "sticktion". The cause however was revealed by disconnecting the damper from the trailing arm with the top mount fully done up. It didn't point at it mounting. It needed to be pushed 2 inches across to meet its mounting point on the trailing arm. Effectively it was putting a side load onto the damper rod thus increasing the friction levels leading to the noise.

Despite trying softer mounting bushes, eventually the only solution was to create a new top mount that clamped to the body with an eye bolt mounting for the damper. This then allows the damper alignment to be corrected.

Voila! no more noise!

Looking back, i now realise i have seen several rear dampers leaking on these cars, all less than 2 years old. Not suprising really! What is surprising is that they can get the design so wrong. Its no more difficult in this case to get it right.

2" :o That is an issue indeed. Historically this model is not known for the OE rear dampers knocking, can you correct me on this or have i just been lucky so far.

No they don't knock, though historically i think we need to ask the aussies! They have only been here 2 years.

But i think thats because they have very soft bushes and floppy dampers that offer very little resistance to movement. Problem is, if you up the damping rate the bushes disintegrate.

No they don't knock, though historically i think we need to ask the aussies! They have only been here 2 years.

But i think thats because they have very soft bushes and floppy dampers that offer very little resistance to movement. Problem is, if you up the damping rate the bushes disintegrate.

Would love to see some images!.... Due to the 'Hacker' problems in forums at the moment you would need to use an external link like 'photo bucket'...