Punctures/ Repair

Tony

With the soon to be enforced RFT (Run flat Tyre) repairs will become a thing of the past, but for now any puncture with a diameter of 6mm can be repaired within the middle 75% of the tyre. A 6mm hole is quite an injury and will cause structural damage to the wire core... To the tyre this is like a Human with a broken leg.

Over time the stresses during compression and release can snap the wire and allow the internal pressure to gradually distort the tyre. Again over time the now oval tyre will wear the high-spot by accelerated compression at the 'On' moment, basically more friction hence more wear at that point.

Symptoms Most distorted tyres that are dangerous occur at the rear since the problem is less detectable. The symptoms are a low speed (under 30mph) rear end wobble, as speed increases then the wobble disappears... The other reason for a wobble under 30mph is a loose wheel, either way stay wise and alive.

The repair is the round plug to the left of the image.

If anyone is wondering this example is not the same as 'casing contamination' mentioned in a previous thread.

• 1 month later...

I worked in a tyre centre years ago and used to repair tyres, is it not possible someone had driven that tyre over a kerb or similar to snap the cords rather that the repair causing it? have repaired my own tyres and even used them on tracks after, I do check them regularly to make sure there are no problems but not had a problem with a repaired tyre yet.

Saying that seen some truly terrible repairs too, some right in the shoulder where the tyre flex just pulled the repair off again, and one second hand tyre had been run flat with half the sidewall grooved out, the tyre was asymmetric and the seller had put it on backwards so the buyer couldn't see it they stuffed a tube in.

I worked in a tyre centre years ago and used to repair tyres, is it not possible someone had driven that tyre over a kerb or similar to snap the cords rather that the repair causing it? have repaired my own tyres and even used them on tracks after, I do check them regularly to make sure there are no problems but not had a problem with a repaired tyre yet.

Saying that seen some truly terrible repairs too, some right in the shoulder where the tyre flex just pulled the repair off again, and one second hand tyre had been run flat with half the sidewall grooved out, the tyre was asymmetric and the seller had put it on backwards so the buyer couldn't see it they stuffed a tube in.

I have to agree, the repair is not always the criminal but often the tyre condition displayed in the image is also accompanied by a past repair.... This does generate an opinion over time?

Yes I suppose you can notice a trend, although the tyre centre I worked in (a fair few years ago now) was quite busy we could change 100 tyres over a weekend so saw quite a number of out of shape tyres but never noticed the correspondence to being repaired. Lots were mini cab tyres I presume lots of bumping up the kerb to park off the road, often others were bought in for a balance having bought second-hand tyres from a breakers yard.

Yes I suppose you can notice a trend, although the tyre centre I worked in (a fair few years ago now) was quite busy we could change 100 tyres over a weekend so saw quite a number of out of shape tyres but never noticed the correspondence to being repaired. Lots were mini cab tyres I presume lots of bumping up the kerb to park off the road, often others were bought in for a balance having bought second-hand tyres from a breakers yard.

Second-hand tyres how scary it that!..... I ask the owner do you wonder why this tyre is second-hand, a reply of 'yes the car was crashed' does not install much success for the product!

• 2 weeks later...

Second-hand tyres how scary it that!..... I ask the owner do you wonder why this tyre is second-hand, a reply of 'yes the car was crashed' does not install much success for the product!

I've never bought second-hand tyres after seeing the rubbish they sell, although managed to pick up a few sets of worn tyres for old cars when the owners asked for a full set when we told them the rears had plenty left in them, saying that it didn't often happen, more like them not wanting to change them even when the cords were hanging out lol