jon's MR2

Tony

Without disclosing the full Monty we.. no jon decided to try toe out on the front, Initial feed-back from the road is dire (Tony I don't like toe out) So the road feel is wrong but the car is set to go on the track next week... My directive to jon is 'stay safe' learn the set-up and do your best.

What is interesting is the front toe positions have been moved from +.4mm to -.3mm per side and the driver can detect the difference at an alarming level....

wim says: learn slowly on the day jon!

That was initial feedback, i reserve judgement until the track day thursday as you just can't tell on the road.

As you've mentioned though, the difference in initial bite on turn in is night and day, not a fan so far but that might all change.

Next time we'll try some other wacky setup... perhaps your initial suggestion :)

That was initial feedback, i reserve judgement until the track day thursday as you just can't tell on the road.

As you've mentioned though, the difference in initial bite on turn in is night and day, not a fan so far but that might all change.

Next time we'll try some other wacky setup... perhaps your initial suggestion :)

Knowing your race needs i feel you are going to say the car is tight (corner out) basically to safe, but since you are a experienced driver this may open the car to some more aggressive cornering.

the car said...

"i'm not playing with you anymore".

:blink:

The mr2 has been on the drive all day. I ended up going with my Boss and his 911 and as he didn't know the track and for some reason trusts my driving i spent a good number of laps driving his 997 911 around so it wasn't all bad :D

Lovely cars, far too much understeer though (see tony, i REALLY hate it).

I'll be doing one in the coming weeks as soon as i can get some rear tyres.

the car said...

"i'm not playing with you anymore".

:blink:

The mr2 has been on the drive all day. I ended up going with my Boss and his 911 and as he didn't know the track and for some reason trusts my driving i spent a good number of laps driving his 997 911 around so it wasn't all bad :)

Lovely cars, far too much understeer though (see tony, i REALLY hate it).

I'll be doing one in the coming weeks as soon as i can get some rear tyres.

Your car.... do you want me to send the boys around :D ....... Sorry you had to drive the 911 real bummer...

post-2-1154640902_thumb.jpg

'Under-steer did she?' Hmmm looks like something much more adventures for you then....

I think the problem was he wouldn't let me turn the PSM off so couldn't steer the car on the throttle too well.

I hate understeer :blink:

Look forward to seeing how mine is. I think the next step will be toe in again and at least 2 degrees of -ve camber both front and rear with balance to be decided on track.

I think the problem was he wouldn't let me turn the PSM off so couldn't steer the car on the throttle too well.

I hate understeer :D

Look forward to seeing how mine is. I think the next step will be toe in again and at least 2 degrees of -ve camber both front and rear with balance to be decided on track.

A 2.10/1.50 combination is more you :o so you can excite the rear.... And indeed toe in!.... It's good you are now on the wim side for toe in= turn in, as we know this is much argued in the forums, often by those who don't race :D

One of my suppliers used to a do lot of racing and is adamant toe out was good on the track for good turn in. I've told him i don't agree, but he won't have it! Tried to make me set up his road car like that, so i agreed and gave it a touch of toe in!!!!!

He thinks it drives great :D

As for 911's, understeer is good, oversteer is uncontrollable and contact with the tyre wall inevitable! I might not be good at maths, but i do know hanging all the weight out behind the rear axle doesn't make good engineering sense.

Porsche built some cars with 50/50 weight distribution (944, 928 etc) but the customers wanted the engine at the back!!

You're forgetting the secret of the porsche 911, 235 wide front, 295 rear!

I'm sure i'd have been plenty faster without the PSM, the slides i had on before the PSM caught it felt highly controllable.

Remember this was a brand new 911, the story wouldn't be the same in the older cars.