Tyre Insurance

GrahamS4

Couldn't see any existing threads on this.

Who has it, has used it, has it but wouldn't again, always goes for it, who is your scheme with etc?

If you have it, is that on regualr or run flat tyres?

Do WIM offer this (I wasn't offered it so assume they don't). Have WIM looked into offering it?

I had a pair of tyres on my other car (3 series touring) from a local STS dealer just coming up a year ago. At the time 12 months tyre protection was thrown in, even though his price was already very competetive. Cover for the 205/55/R16 Dunlops (not a costly tyre I admit) I think should have been ~£5 each.

Since then I have had one puncture repair and having just had another puncture they didn't want to repair due to the location, a new tyre. As it came literally just weeks from the end of the cover, I got 8K miles of use out the tyre for free.

I am now thinking I'd be happy to pay for the cover in future. As with any insurance policy it's a calculated gamble, but the premium doesn't seem bad to me. More costly tyres cost more to insure of course - up to £15 each I think on that particular scheme, not sure if that inclided run flats. If the premium for all 4 tyres was more than half the cost of one replacement tyre I probably wouldn't take it and would take the gamble.

The managers are paid bonus for selling the insurance so what's that telling you.

I hear what you are saying, but a lot of sales are bonused.

I wouldn't normally insure against such a relatively low cost item as a rule. Lets face it £150 for a pair of tyres is not breaking the bank so far as "disasters" go. On the other hand that's a £14 repair and a £75 tyre for a premium that actually cost me nothing, but otherwise would have set me back ~£10 had I actually paid for it. £10 I would not miss had I had trouble free motoring.

With the very low premium and relative high chance of needing to claim, it does seem a rather good service. There was no quibble either time and they knew I was covered before they said the tyre had to be replaced.

Strikes me as something that may catch on.

I worked for STS for 25yrs so i know how this insurance works.... I'll never have it at wim.

A man who knows what side of the fence he is on :smile_anim:

Is there a catch from the consumers POV I am missing? General discussion here, if it's not something you feel is right for WIM then there is no need for that to be discussed further.

The vast majority would never need to claim so the pressure selling favors personal reward. The insurance is very open to abuse to those who are wise :smile_anim: and i will never have a bonus system at wim that supplements a reasonable living wage.

Personal reward via bonus encourages overselling.... this isn't the wim way.

"Open to abuse by those who are wise" - this was my first though... wouldn't it be a shame if I drove over a stinger just as my tyres were near the legal limit.

Would they have any comeback?!

Probably the T&C's are onerous.

Tyres to be at the correct pressure.

Pressures to be checked weekly.

Tyres to be visually inspected weekly.

All of the above to be done by the insurers agent at a cost to you?

If not, how do you prove you complied with their requirments!

h