Help with my mk1 mondeo hatch

PeterHart020

I need advice on the geometry of my mk1 mondeo ghia. I've posted a question on MEG and Essex Racer has suggested I come to WIM for a full geometry and then someone else recommended something else. I'm kinda confused now. Heres a link to the thread on MEG:

Linky

I'm a bus driver so money is tight but I want me car to drive straight. What do I do guys.

Thanks in advance

Pete

Do you just use the car to pootle around or do you enjoy driving?.

If you are the latter, then definately WIM. If you are driving 'fast' then you should have the car aligned so it handles safely at speed. Tony will be able to adjust the chassis to suit your driving style if you so want.

A full geometric alignment will improve the cars handling, reduce tyre wear, providing you don't go for some alignments that trade grip for tyre wear, and give you even tryre wear, allowing the tyres to last longer. (Especially if you have new tyres, old tyres will carry the wear from the current alignment.) Tony will explain to you what he is doing, why, the benefits of and any drawbacks.

Alignment is not for the expensive cars, I drive a 13 year old MX5, I enjoy driving it, every time I have been there Tony has given me a different car.

The first time it was aligned was after I bought it, it was returned to the standard Mazda settings. It was very jumpy at the back prior to this due to having very agressive track settings on the rear. Once that was done the improvement in handling was huge. Over time, my experience of handling a rear wheel drive car grew, so the next time I had it aligned to fast road/track. Suits me and my style of driving both on and off track.

Also have a look at this post by Tony explaining the differences between the types of alignment.

http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/ind...hp?showtopic=49

At this point I'll admit to a link with WIM. WIM sponsor the PlanetMotorsports car aka The Hornet, in which I have a 1/8th share.

Other than that, I pay for the alignments on my own car and as you may have noticed, am a very satisfied customer.

h

Problem you have is wheel alignment or "tracking" is linear (longitudinal) and cannot make a car pull since as an angle when wrong is shared between both front wheels.

Changing the wishbones was wise since these are sacrificial components designed to bend in an impact, so it's probable the camber positions are fine. I feel the most likely reason for the pull and steering position is the castor (read more here)> http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/tech-longcastor.php

On the Mondeo this is not directly adjustable but!!! it's very possible to move the sub-frame and optimise the positions.

This issue with four wheel alignment is it's line of sight?.... Your car is three dimensional so three planes X, Y, Z wheel alignments vision is X, so it cannot see the other issues the car has.

A 3D image of your car costs £30+ and we will tell you what's wrong :blush02:

Do you just use the car to pootle around or do you enjoy driving?.

If you are the latter, then definately WIM. If you are driving 'fast' then you should have the car aligned so it handles safely at speed. Tony will be able to adjust the chassis to suit your driving style if you so want.

A full geometric alignment will improve the cars handling, reduce tyre wear, providing you don't go for some alignments that trade grip for tyre wear, and give you even tryre wear, allowing the tyres to last longer. (Especially if you have new tyres, old tyres will carry the wear from the current alignment.) Tony will explain to you what he is doing, why, the benefits of and any drawbacks.

Alignment is not for the expensive cars, I drive a 13 year old MX5, I enjoy driving it, every time I have been there Tony has given me a different car.

The first time it was aligned was after I bought it, it was returned to the standard Mazda settings. It was very jumpy at the back prior to this due to having very agressive track settings on the rear. Once that was done the improvement in handling was huge. Over time, my experience of handling a rear wheel drive car grew, so the next time I had it aligned to fast road/track. Suits me and my style of driving both on and off track.

Also have a look at this post by Tony explaining the differences between the types of alignment.

http://www.wheels-inmotion.co.uk/forum/ind...hp?showtopic=49

At this point I'll admit to a link with WIM. WIM sponsor the PlanetMotorsports car aka The Hornet, in which I have a 1/8th share.

Other than that, I pay for the alignments on my own car and as you may have noticed, am a very satisfied customer.

h

I enjoy my driving, always have done, I'm a motorcyclist too and have done track days on both the bike and in a car (Not the Mondy) and I'm sure someone else would put up with the way the car drives at the moment. But it BEEP me off every time I get behind the wheel. From what you and Tony have said I need to come over and have at least the 3d image done. I just know I'll have the necessary work done too, it might just mean me saving up for the remedial work. Can I book the car in Tony?