Volvo S40 weirdness

rasputin

Having a strange issue with my 2001 Volvo S40 1.9D (145,000 miles)

It feels like I have sideways movement when I go over bumps. It's worst in a bend if I hit a small pothole or a patch of broken road - it feels like a bit of fishtailing.

At 60mph+, going over a bump feels as if the car is twitching to the side rather than just up and down.

And on surface water, all sorts of weirdness happens. The back end feels like it's sliding about slightly (whether it really is - I'm not sure). A bit like aquaplaning, but it happens far more easily than any other car I've driven.

It feels better if I inflate the tyres to 34psi front and 32psi rear instead of the recommended 30/29, but it by no means goes away.

The tyres are Goodyear Excellence all round, about a year old and 6mm+ tread. I actually kept these tyres from my last car (Mondeo V6) and on that car they felt absolutely fine.

I've had my suspension checked over a few times and have been told that it all looks in good condition, except:

1) My drop-links should be replaced (although they look fine to me)

2) My N/S/F strut top mount may be worn

Would either of those things cause the problems I'm having?

Having a strange issue with my 2001 Volvo S40 1.9D (145,000 miles)

It feels like I have sideways movement when I go over bumps. It's worst in a bend if I hit a small pothole or a patch of broken road - it feels like a bit of fishtailing.

At 60mph+, going over a bump feels as if the car is twitching to the side rather than just up and down.

And on surface water, all sorts of weirdness happens. The back end feels like it's sliding about slightly (whether it really is - I'm not sure). A bit like aquaplaning, but it happens far more easily than any other car I've driven.

It feels better if I inflate the tyres to 34psi front and 32psi rear instead of the recommended 30/29, but it by no means goes away.

The tyres are Goodyear Excellence all round, about a year old and 6mm+ tread. I actually kept these tyres from my last car (Mondeo V6) and on that car they felt absolutely fine.

I've had my suspension checked over a few times and have been told that it all looks in good condition, except:

1) My drop-links should be replaced (although they look fine to me)

2) My N/S/F strut top mount may be worn

Would either of those things cause the problems I'm having?

sorry tony is not at work for a couple of days but it sounds to me like you may have a negative toe angle at the rear

the drop links will not be the issue and the top mount would have to be so bad it would knock and bang

mark@wim

As Mark says the drop links only communicate transition during weight transfer so worn or not this isn't the issue.

If we try and define your complaint it reads very much like oversteer, if Marks assumption is correct and i do agree with him then the rear Geometry is wrong and this condition compliments your complaint on/ off the bump.

You may or may not be aware the rear camber and toe is adjustable on the S40 so by design it's expected to go wrong.

I did think of getting a geometry check/adjustment if I find somewhere locally that offers it, but thought it would be wasted money if I don't get the drop links and strut mount done first.

One other clue I forgot to mention is that the car can tram-line quite badly even on very subtle joins in the road surface.

The N/S strut bolt in the engine bay sits squint, sort of resting against the side of the hole. On the O/S it sits in the middle of the hole.

I've been told by two (rubbish) garages that that's normal, it is not worn and doesn't need to be changed. It's a common S40 issue and I believe the squinty bolt is a sign that it's worn. I assume it's just a job they don't want to do...

May be a few weeks before I can get this sorted, but will come back and report if the mount/geo fixes it...