Coilover adjusts with spring perch

Thought I’d use some of my WIM gold privileges and ask for some advice. 

Just thought I’d stick it in this forum

Anyway Tony, as you know I recently aquired some Tein comfort sport coilovers, They came preassembled with the spring and upper mounts in place already and basically ready to fit onto the car. You can see a pic of them here http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php...um=sp4rks#23617

Now I have had conflicting advice….some people say to wind the coilover to the top since adjust lower is easier that going higher (I guess true since you’re pushing WITH the spring instead of against it) But as I was winding it up….since the spring is in contact with the upper mount and hence the piston it rotated the upper mount (piston) with the winding motion……I stopped after 3mm of this because it didn’t feel it was right….so I wound it back…

My question is with rotating the piston with the spring could I have done something to the piston?? The suspension is on the car now and is riding fine with no noises etc…but just thought it’s useful to get some feedback….

cheers tony for the reply...but i was just wondering how the bottom end of the piston is held into the shock body? would it be a one peice construction like a piston of a car or would it be a piston rod with a larger piston at the bottom of it held on by a nut or other fixing?

my concern when i was doing it was..what if it is a rod with a piston held onto the bottom with a nut or similar...if the spring tension was holding the piston at an end stop or similar (due to full extention) then what if winding the rod around would unseat this lower nut on the piston :huh: ...am i thinking about this correctly or am i just worrying myself :whistle: ...never taken apart a coilover or damper before so i maybe barking up the wrong tree....

oh and thanks for the reply Tony!

cheers tony for the reply...but i was just wondering how the bottom end of the piston is held into the shock body? would it be a one peice construction like a piston of a car or would it be a piston rod with a larger piston at the bottom of it held on by a nut or other fixing?

my concern when i was doing it was..what if it is a rod with a piston held onto the bottom with a nut or similar...if the spring tension was holding the piston at an end stop or similar (due to full extention) then what if winding the rod around would unseat this lower nut on the piston :huh: ...am i thinking about this correctly or am i just worrying myself :whistle: ...never taken apart a coilover or damper before so i maybe barking up the wrong tree....

oh and thanks for the reply Tony!

You are just worrying yourself......