Suggestions for a book

Having built and tuned more engines than I can count, I'm being asked more and more about chassis tuning too. I touched on it a bit when I was at uni, but nothing really in depth. Does anyone have any good recommendations for books which cover the technical side of things like tyre choices, spring & damper rates etc etc. Ideally it would involve data loggers/accelerometers and how to use these to best advantage.

Any top tips would be most welcome!

Cheers,

Paul

Indeed welcome to WIM B)

Personally I've found it extremely difficult to gain access to good quality scientific information on the subject of vehicle dynamics.

I'm my opinion the academic land scape in this field is clogged with authors offering their opinions often passing them off as fact or worse still preaching as an expert based solely on their own trail and error experience without any real understanding of the true mechanisms at play.

I would recommend that you cast a skeptical eye over as much material as possible, then perhaps mentally attempt to sort the wheat from the worryingly large amount of chaff.

I've been lucky enough to work with some talented people in this area and I've certainly gleaned far more from my discussions with these people then from any of the books I've ever read on the subject.

Welcome to wim

I have to agree with Sam... I found most of the information dated or type specific, in fact that's one of the reasons i built wim.

Saying that though snippets of information from books like "suspension bible" construct an overview so long as their not considered law, our market place is constantly evolving.

On a brighter note Geometry is global so once any student understands the figures are also forces then the need is only to understand what force and how this interacts dynamically.

Personally i think Geometry is simple compared to suspension dynamics.... don't even think about aerodynamics :)

Thanks for the welcome. I fully subscribe to the approach of working out what forces are present then going from there. I also agree that there is a lot of tosh written- I run a flow bench as part of my engine building and a lot of claims of other people/books/papers etc are exactly that- claims! An industrial background in fluid flow helps to quikly sort out those who are talking rubbish!

However, a good start is to get an understanding- even if it is wrong as the best education will be to disprove this. The only way to learn is to make mistakes, but hopefully they're not costly :)

Thanks chaps,

Paul

Absolutely..... In truth the field is to wide to be encompassed in any book... An example emailed to me today was an owner who wants to Drag his S13.. What he is looking for is the Geometry coil/oil settings so he sent a list of the modifications to help>

ENGINE:

HKS GT3040 Turbo

HKS Wastegate

HKS Manifold

HKS Downpipe

HKS 272 In/Ex Cams

HKS Step 2 Valve Springs

Custom Made 100mm IC Piping

Greddy Intake Plenum

740cc Injectors

Infinity Large Throttle

Blitz Intercooler (For Supra)

SARD Fuel Pump

Nismo Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator

Uprated Fuel Lines and Connectors

Large Triple Layer Radiator

HKS Induction Kit

Metal Suction Pipe

Braided Breather Pipes with Anodised Ends

Aftermarket Exhaust System

Oil Catch Can

Apexi Rad Cap

Nismo Oil Cap

Metal Head Gasket

SUSPENSION / BRAKES / WHEELS / DRIVE

Cusco LSD

Hurst Line Lock

OS Cross Mission Kit

S15 Rear Member

S14 Front 4 Pot Callipers

5 Stud Hub Conversion

CST 17" Alloys (9.5J + 15)

OS Triple Plate Clutch

Aftermarket Brake Pads Front and Rear

JIC Coilovers with Camber Adjustable Pilo Uppers

Cusco Rear Upper Arms

Cusco Toe Control Arms

Metal Subframe Collars

ARC Extended Sump

Cusco Front and Rear strut braces

INTERIOR

HKS FconV Pro Gold

Matched Bride Recliner Seats

Sabelt Harness

7 Point Lagged Roll Cage

Rear Boot Brace (5 Point)

Apexi Electronic Oil Temp Gauge with Peak Hold and Warning Functions

Apexi Electronic Water Temp Gauge with Peak Hold and Warning Functions

Apexi Electronic Oil Pressure Gauge with Peak Hold and Warning Functions

Apexi Electronic Boost Gauge with Peak Hold and Warning Functions

Apexi Electronic EGT Gauge with Peak Hold and Warning Functions

AutoMeter Sport Comp Monster Tcho With Shift Change Light

Integral Knock Meter

GReddy Turbo Timer

GReddy Profec Boost Controller

No book will tell you how to set this car since it's unique.... Years of experience like yours, a smattering of confidence and the correct equipment can calibrate this type of totally unique example :)

It may be worth reviewing the SAE library.

SAE is a world authority on all automotive issues, and the white papers that are published are reviewed by the leading scientists in each field.

I gleaned much of my knowledge of engine dynamics from SAE white papers. It's a very deep mine of authenticated scientific data.