ride issue after suspension install

alnug

Ok just after some advice.

After fitting the lowered suspension on the Accord (06 model) the rear end feels very ‘bumpy’ and feels like its rough. Feel every little rut and the rear just seems to bump around rather than firm and stuck to the road. It also feels like it's rubbing the tyre accoss the road??

I’ve had another Accord (04 plate) with the same suspension kit before and it never felt like this it rode a lot smoother and was a more relaxing drive and was very planted. To my knowledge they didn’t change any other suspension component between 04 and 06.

I also note that the suspension seems lower in the rear as compared to my previous car.

I had it aligned when the suspension was fitted but don’t fully trust the alignment and since I didn’t have the camber kit I thought I’d wait till I got the camber kit on before I get a proper geometry check.

I am aware that the rear camber is now way off and probably the general alignment is off also (visit to Tony soon :blush: )

Now wondering on causes:

1) Needs a proper alignment – but would this affect the bumpiness in the rear?

2) The suspension bushes haven’t been set properly. I tried to set them my jacking up each side to load it since I couldn’t tighten things with it on the ground.

3) I’ve put on some new tyres on which seemed to cure things slightly but the rear tyres needed more weights to balance and think I thin I’m going to wait to get to Tony so he can Forcematch them with the Hunter B) machine

Any other suggestions?

Is this a "bump issue" or a "handling issue?".. Geo will not sort "bumpiness" are you sure the damper/ coil ratio is correct?

Admittedly a violated Geo will aggravate the handling but i'm worried about your "bumpiness" statement!

thing is Tony it's the OEM Honda lowered sports suspension, they have 2 revisions of it. i first thought that the new revision that i initially had on it was causing the issue so i sourced the suspension revision i had on my previous accord...it's better but there still seems to be a roughness issue....any chance i could have messed up some bushings when fitting the suspension?!? I had to loosened the multilink rear suspension bushings as to seat them....

however when tightening them I measured the height from the arch to the centre of the hub and it measured 39cm...however I noticed that once the suspension has settled it measures 33.5cm.....so there's a 6cm or so difference between the tightening position of the bushings and the settled position....... :blush:

you asked if this was a handling or bumpiness issue..the thing is the car doesn't feel as connected to the road as my previous one with exactly the same mods...so i guess you can say it also affect the handling.....

an idea whether this could be an issue with preload on the bushings? and if so how do you normally preload the bushings since it's not possible to do it with the wheel on?

maybe bounce the rear boot while the hub carriers are resting on jack stands trying to get the suspension back to corect ride height before tightening?? Any help would be much appreciated...

an idea whether this could be an issue with preload on the bushings? and if so how do you normally preload the bushings since it's not possible to do it with the wheel on?

maybe bounce the rear boot while the hub carriers are resting on jack stands trying to get the suspension back to corect ride height before tightening?? Any help would be much appreciated...

I think you are singing the right notes... The bushing position should be neutral before locking them... If jacks is the only means of doing this then jacks it is.

I think you are singing the right notes... The bushing position should be neutral before locking them... If jacks is the only means of doing this then jacks it is.

Hi Tony..i redid it all again today..couldn't take it anymore and i can say yes it was preload on bushings! thinking about it before i realised i did it a side at a time..of course this didn't load the suspension properly since the sway bar attached prevented proper loading of the suspension! i forgot to put a jack under the other side!!!!...anyway much more confy ride now............it amazing about the difference......In all honesty i think if anyone who has not driven the car before would not know and would have just thouht that the suspension kit did it!!

I am just glad that I was aware how the car should have drove! It just makes me wonder how many people have ill installed ssuspension from bushing preload!!!....believe me the difference it huge!............the car was THUDDING over bumps before and I was dreading the drive..it would jostle me around...now it's a nice DUMPPFFFFFF noise..exactly how it should sound! I've written about it here also http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php...p;mforum=sp4rks

I'm please you sorted this, nice pictorial in your forum link mate :D

In truth i've made the same mistake in the past (that's how we learn) and i can say most main dealers do as well... Countless times i have released the bushing to adjust the angle and "bang" as the bushing unwinds... :D