Ht Leads

If you changed over one side of a v8's spark plugs, (4) With ngk bkr6e instead of the bkr6ep plugs, (one grade lower, bkr6eix are the top ones) that were in there before, would that make any difference to the running.

Now considering it is a 15yr old car, and the wires say on them 1991, so either wires from 1991 or a replacement set for a 1991 car which it is. And maybe someone bent the wires quite a bit as there are so many pipes around and someone was getting p**sed of with them not going into place. Is it pretty likly that one of the ht leads has been ssnapped inside. It doesn't quite sound right when you drive, and possibly seems down on power, but could the spark plug so this rather than the ht leads, as the ht leads from toyota are about £150 iirc, and i need to take the other half of the covers apart to check the leads, which would take me ages.

If they need changing then i will change them in a few days, just waiting to get the money to pay for them into my account, but i dont want to brake anything, or buy them if they are not needed. ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:.

If you changed over one side of a v8's spark plugs, (4) With ngk bkr6e instead of the bkr6ep plugs, (one grade lower, bkr6eix are the top ones) that were in there before, would that make any difference to the running.

Now considering it is a 15yr old car, and the wires say on them 1991, so either wires from 1991 or a replacement set for a 1991 car which it is. And maybe someone bent the wires quite a bit as there are so many pipes around and someone was getting p**sed of with them not going into place. Is it pretty likly that one of the ht leads has been ssnapped inside. It doesn't quite sound right when you drive, and possibly seems down on power, but could the spark plug so this rather than the ht leads, as the ht leads from toyota are about £150 iirc, and i need to take the other half of the covers apart to check the leads, which would take me ages.

If they need changing then i will change them in a few days, just waiting to get the money to pay for them into my account, but i dont want to brake anything, or buy them if they are not needed. ;) :lol: :lol: ;).

The "p" at the end of part number identifies it as a platignum tip plug, so is unlikely to make any difference to the running of the engine in the short term, although you should be using platignum tips if the manufacturer recommends it.

You can verify an internally broken or inefficient plug lead by measuring it's resistance with an Ohm Meter. A broken lead will have a high or infinity resistance. It's also worth checking the firing order to ensure that the plugs leads are on the correct cylinders. Good luck :lol:

I think the leads that are bust come from the drivers side, so i'll need to remove the air intake etc and all the stuff fromthe drivers side as well. As it will take ages, i'll get a new set of leads i think and then i can just swap them over while i have all the bits off, rather than having to do it twice. I best speak to Toyota and find out how long it will take to get a set.

Thanks for your reply ;) .

£152+vat from toyota B) . Not sure whether to get a set of aftermarket magnacor ones at £150 ish inc vat :huh:.

What is there to be "not sure" about? Sounds like an easy choice to me :)

Yep, the Toyota leads.

On the MR2 side there's been far too many reports of magnacor leads being destroyed after a few years where as OEM leads last much better.

£152+vat from toyota :) . Not sure whether to get a set of aftermarket magnacor ones at £150 ish inc vat B).

Yep, the Toyota leads.

On the MR2 side there's been far too many reports of magnacor leads being destroyed after a few years where as OEM leads last much better.

That's interesting :huh: , our experience has been the complete reverse. Toyota plug lead failure is very common on the 3S engine but we haven't seen any Magnacores fail (yet :) )

£152+vat from toyota :) . Not sure whether to get a set of aftermarket magnacor ones at £150 ish inc vat B).

Yep, the Toyota leads.

That's interesting :huh: , our experience has been the complete reverse. Toyota plug lead failure is very common on the 3S engine but we haven't seen any Magnacores fail (yet :) )

Magacores seem to be a cause for concern - check out the posts on IMOC and MR2OC

Someone showed me a picture on another forum of a week old set of magnacor leads with the ends already disintegrating.

The advantage of the toyota wires is that they are already pre fixed into the holders so you literally bolt the holders in place and fit the ends on to the distributor and spark plugs.

The benefit of the magnacours is that they are cheaper, but the downside is they are thicker than the toyota leads so are harder to fix in place, and you certainly dont want them coming loose where they run over the cambelt. You have to remove the guides as they would get in the way, and you have to lay all 8 in the right order from one to 8 with 2 cables from each side going to the other, and of course they are all different lengths so you have to make sure you get the right one.

I may get a set sent over from america, as you save about 50 % or pay about the same with a set of 8 spark plugs (£6.99 each over here) and well as 2 caps and 2 distributors as well, so quite a saving over the uk price.

I need to change the brake pads though, anyone know anywhere that sells ebc red stuff cheaply, the pads i want are £90 for the axle set (all 4) i think DP31007 are the right ones.